Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem with PC lock-ups during games

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 295 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2007, 11:36 AM #1
Problem with PC lock-ups during games
Hi,

First off, you can see my specs above.

As you can see Im running XP Home with spk2 and a X1950Pro with CCC v7.6. I am also running ATITOOL in order to adjust my fan settings. I do not overclock my card.. never have and never will... so that will not be part of this equation.

I have been experiencing complete computer lock-ups during gaming.. mostly games like BF2,FEAR Combat, and Stalker... basically graphically intense first person shooters. When the PC locks up the only recourse is to hit the reset button.. cnt+alt+dlt or anything of that nature will not shrink the game down after the lock-up.

Now, I know that my temps are fine... I check them periodically and they dont reach above 58c during gaming.. I have several top-of-the-line Sycthe 120mm case fans and my X1950Pro set-up thru ATITOOL to ramp up the fan RPMs during gaming.. so that is not an issue.

My question is... do you think going to the newer CCC v7.8 will help this problem? I was under the impresion that v7.8 was for Vista drivers and the new HD 2000 series, but would it help my situation?

Also.. Does ATITOOL cuase known conflicts.. perhaps this is my problem? I need a program to adjust fan settings... so I was looking for a posible replacement for ATITOOL. Is ATI Tray Tools a better program to run then ATITOOL ? and if so, does this program have fan settings in it? Or, do you know of a better program out there?

Is there anything eles that you might think can cuase this problem?

I am currently at work, and wont be able to check back till I get home. But please let me know if changing drivers to CCC v7.8 is a good start, or switching ATITOOL to ATI Tray Tools is a better starting point. Or, should I just do both at the same time?

Any help is appreciated.

Wasper
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!