Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Broken Usb Port!!

(!)

Member with 145 posts.

10-Sep-2007, 01:51 PM #1
Broken Usb Port!!
GOD DARN IT! there goes my last USB port. Both USB ports on my lousy laptop have broken. The plastic part in the middle of the USB port has broken on one of them and the other one looks fine but just seems not to be working. Is there anyway of fixing them ?

This is a serious issue for me, and thanks in advance to anyone who trys to help
Member with 145 posts.

10-Sep-2007, 02:20 PM #2
could somebody please help, this is really important
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2007, 02:23 PM #3
New ones can be soldered in but it's not easy and you need to call around to find a shop that can do that.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2007, 02:48 PM #4
The USB jacks should just be soldered to the motheboard. How comfortable are you with using a soldering iron on a multi-layer printed circuit board that can easily be damaged if a bit too much heat or a bit too much force is applied while removing the old sockets or putting in the new ones. There is also the matter of first finding identical replacement USB jacks. You could also pay a PC repair shop to do the repair for you.

If you have an open memory card slot on the laptop, a USB adapter card like one of these may work out for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815123021

Just be sure you properly identify the memory/expansion slot type on the laptop and get a matching USB adapter card.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

10-Sep-2007, 07:18 PM #5
You can also use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 board for USB capability.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,344 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2007, 10:14 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
You can also use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 board for USB capability.
Doh! That was what I was thinking of with my Memory Card reference but neglected to put "Personal Computer" in front of Memory Card and "International Association" after it.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 11:05 AM #7
I figured as much, I wasn't sure where you were going.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 11:06 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella Corp
GOD DARN IT! there goes my last USB port. Both USB ports on my lousy laptop have broken. The plastic part in the middle of the USB port has broken on one of them and the other one looks fine but just seems not to be working. Is there anyway of fixing them ?

This is a serious issue for me, and thanks in advance to anyone who trys to help
It is possible to fix the jacks, but it does involve disassembly of the laptop. You will also have to find the USB jack assembly for this unit, though they're frequently used in a number of laptop models.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Sep-2007, 03:46 PM #9
These things break very easily. If you look at how they're mounted to the board, you'd see why. There's just not much there to hold it onto the port. One tug the wrong way can break it easily.

Last edited by Cookiegal; 10-Oct-2007 at 07:48 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!