Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: computer cannot communicate with printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 220 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2007, 10:12 PM #1
Solved: computer cannot communicate with printer
hi everyone, I just reinstalled xp on my computer and now I can't use the printer because they're not communicating! Am I missing something here, do I have to do something other than connect and run the lexmark software? I have a Lexmark 5400 all-in-one. On the same note, my Windows Media Player won't play a dvd because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on my computer, I have know idea what to do. Will someone kindly be willing to help me? Thank you
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 417 posts.

Experience: I know enough to know what I don't know!
13-Sep-2007, 10:59 PM #2
Did you reinstall all the drivers for your chipset/motherboard, video card and other hardware?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, please post the make and model of your pc, or list all the hardware used to build it. Motherboard, video card, any add in pci cards, etc.

We will then be able to walk you thru it.
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2007, 11:45 PM #3
Thanks for your reply, I did reinstall the drivers. I got the printer going by disabling comodo firewall. Then i enabled it again and had the same problem. So i uninstalled it and will probably put Zonealarm back on my system, what do you think?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2007, 12:10 AM #4
Windows Firewall is all you need, if you have ample protection for spyware and virus.
Software firewalls cause more troubles than they are worth.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 12:21 AM #5
But why am I having trouble with these firewalls now, I never did before the reinstall? I'm having the same problem with Zonealarm. Also, what do I do about the Windows Media Player? anyone know?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2007, 07:14 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv4
But why am I having trouble with these firewalls now, I never did before the reinstall? I'm having the same problem with Zonealarm. Also, what do I do about the Windows Media Player? anyone know?
I can't really tell you, but I have had the same issues with everyone of them ever since Sygate was bought and "crushed" by Symantec...firewall software is the worst most annoying illconfigurable software. I tried 15 of them and either the browsers were shut down, network became unusable or something. ZA was the most memorable. It went in fine easily configured and then when I rebooted I was unable to get on the internet on 2 pc's. Buy a good antivirus program such as Nod32, BitDefender or Kaspersky and antispyware that keeps them "out at the gate" by running in the background, and then Windows Firewall is all you need,
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

14-Sep-2007, 07:24 AM #7
If you are trying to play a DVD movie you will need to install software that came with your DVD player. The DVD decoder you need is not part of Windows. Another option is to see if it is included with your graphics card software (like my AIW 9800 card).
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 417 posts.

Experience: I know enough to know what I don't know!
14-Sep-2007, 10:17 AM #8
What type of printer is it? How do you have it plugged in?
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 10:12 PM #9
hey guys, thanks for all your replies, I've been preparing for my daughter's wedding. The printer is a Lexmark 5400 all-in-one and was working fine with Comodo and it's worked fine with Z-Alarm in the past. I've only run into this since the reinstall. I was wondering if malware could be screwing with the firewall. Is that possible?
The USB is plugged directly into the computer, then there's two phone lines, one goes into the phone and the other one isn't hooked up yet (I'm not using the fax and it shouldn't have anything to do with the firewall, should it?) My printer works fine with windows firewall.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!