Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My External Hard Drive Runs a Auto 'Sleep' Mode

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Sep-2007, 12:52 PM #1
Question My External Hard Drive Runs a Auto 'Sleep' Mode
Right, I have a Seagate 250GB external hard drive that runs through a USB port on my Windows XP laptop.

The Hard drive Runs a auto 'Sleep' Mode after about 10 - 15 mins of not being accessed manually through the OS Folders. It then has to 'Wake-up' again which is affecting the way programs, music etc are run off of it.

Ive contacted Seagate and they say there isn't a way to disable this function, but there has to be something that can keep it 'awake' all the time.

So i thought I'd ask you guys, Hope you can help me.

Thanks
Account Disabled with 624 posts.

19-Sep-2007, 01:34 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforumplace
Right, I have a Seagate 250GB external hard drive that runs through a USB port on my Windows XP laptop.

The Hard drive Runs a auto 'Sleep' Mode after about 10 - 15 mins of not being accessed manually through the OS Folders. It then has to 'Wake-up' again which is affecting the way programs, music etc are run off of it.

Ive contacted Seagate and they say there isn't a way to disable this function, but there has to be something that can keep it 'awake' all the time.

So i thought I'd ask you guys, Hope you can help me.

Thanks
Are you using a external one only?

Go to Control Panel

Performance and Maintenance

Power Options

On the Power Scheme tab, make sure all the drop down boxes are set to Never... including Turn off hard disks.

Don't mention it,

Mikey.

Last edited by 07clarkm; 19-Sep-2007 at 01:48 PM..

21-Sep-2007, 06:13 AM #3
Unfortunatly that hasnt worked, and im using my internal one on my laptop, just useing the external to store music, programs and photos, just as extra storage really.

Any other ideas? Thanks so far though
Account Disabled with 624 posts.

21-Sep-2007, 10:44 AM #4
Hmm how odd.

Is there not a setting on your hard drive?

21-Sep-2007, 09:27 PM #5
Not thats visable, There are th econfig Files but they are 'Hidden' from normal view.

There must be a code somewhere that tells it to 'Sleep' after so long in the code surely?

Ideas?

Really stumped me this one
worf51 worf51 is offline worf51 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 266 posts.

Experience: learning all the time
21-Sep-2007, 10:05 PM #6
i have a 300 gig external seagate drive also & yes mine does the same thing,to me it`s not a bother it just takes a second to kick back in,i thought it was some sort of "stanby" funtion that is similiar to a television etc...i think it is a good that it rests ,as it will prolong its life...
Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Jul-2008, 05:58 PM #7
yeah, but the problem is that "a few seconds" can completely kill a datastream, and for some applications that is fatal.

for example, I have a bunch of those 300GB seagates (5 to be exact) connected into a macintosh editing system. when i am outputting a videostream to DV, there can't be even a fraction of a second hold-up, that stream has to run in realtime or else the video is corrupted. so if i am outputting a video file, and one of the elemement is on another drive and occurs 15+ min into the video, when it comes time for the comptuer to play this part, it has to wait several seconds for the drive to spin up before it can access it and that ruins the stream and the last 15+ (and it has happened to me where it was a few *hours* in, not 15 min) is wasted because you have to start the stream all over again.

if you are using one drive, it is slightly annoying (as the original poster said, it can cause delays in music or video that they are playing) but if you have several hard drives and content distributed, it can get really frustrating even outside of the serious errors and work loss it can cause.

also, the spin up process, that the drives now do many times per a day coming out of sleep mode rather than once or twice a day for a fully "awake" hard drive, is far more damaging and likely to burn out your hard drive than leaving it up and spinning for awhile.

i too am looking for a way (on a mac. pain in the *** oversimplified machine it is, but it's great for film work) to stop this annoying sleep mode. perhaps there is a seagate setup utility or a firmware update?
Member with 491 posts.

Experience: Some
19-Jul-2008, 09:12 PM #8
I have a 500gig Maxtor ., wold by Seagate. It came with a CD that installs a program called Maxtor Manager. It has settings to select several different amount of time for it to sleep or I can select never.

Does Seagate have manager software?
worf51 worf51 is offline worf51 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 266 posts.

Experience: learning all the time
27-Jul-2008, 09:10 PM #9
hi deubanks,i just checked my installation disk that came with my seagate 300gig external hard drive & no it doesn`t have "manager software",as i said i get used to it nodding off,but your option would be a lot better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!