Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot install this hardware...cordless mouse

(!)

Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Sep-2007, 02:21 PM #1
Cannot install this hardware...cordless mouse
so just recently i was having problems with an error involving my mouse and keyboard.

it seemed to have started with an error involving my mouse.

Everytime i boot up i get the Found New Harware Wizard popup.
It says, "There was a problem installing this hardware" - Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse. An error occured during the installation of the device.

Now this is months and months after i installed the keyboard/mouse combo to my computer, yet i am getting this message now?

Well i ignored it till my keyboard and mouse finally wore out.

So i went out and bought a new one. Which by the way i love Logitech's cordless desktop wave. Now it wasnt a big deal, but i figured a new mouse so the error msg should go away because everything will be freshly installed. Wrong, its still there everytime i login.

Anyone have any ideas what i can do?

thank you

Setup:

Windows XP
Gateway 504 GR
Old mouse/keyboard combo: Logitech Cordless desktop S510
New mouse/keyboard combo: Logitech Cordless desktop wave

25-Sep-2007, 04:19 PM #2
bump
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 417 posts.

Experience: I know enough to know what I don't know!
25-Sep-2007, 08:27 PM #3
I'll take a stab at helping you out....

Were you using any Logitech drivers with the first keyboard mouse set?
If so did you fully remove them before trying to use the new keyboard/mouse?

Have you tried different USB ports on your computer?
Have you tried different USB devices on your computer to confirm your USB ports are still working.

Is your XP install updated with SP2?
Right click on My Computer and choose properties.
The general tab will tell you.
Then click on the hardware tab and open the device manager and look for anything with a yellow exclamation mark or question mark next to it.

26-Sep-2007, 05:23 PM #4
Yes, i was using logitech drivers on my previous mouse/keyboard.
Heres the thing with that. Since my keyboard/mouse combo both are cordless and i remove the drivers for both of them...won't this take away any communication i have with my computer? If that is the case, i guess i should borrow a wired mouse or keyboard from somewhere before i attempt this. i tried removing the mouse driver before to fix the problem, so im kinda shy to just remove my mouse/keyboard driver combo all at once.

Yes, i have tried outher usb ports.
Yes, i have tried other devices on those same usb ports and they work fine.
Yes. i have SP2 installed.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 417 posts.

Experience: I know enough to know what I don't know!
26-Sep-2007, 08:36 PM #5
If you can get your hands on a PS/2 keyboard and mouse (the older round connections, usually green and purple) then you can follow these instructions from JohnWill to try totally removing all usb drivers.

Start of JohnWill's instructions

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.
*Uninstall anything saying Logitech Mouse/Keyboard or HID-compliant device. These would be under HID-compliant devices, Mouse, or Keyboards*

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

end----

I added the line with the *. Any experts know how a ps/2 keyboard and mouse show up in the device manager? I don't have one hooked up the moment, and don't want to give bad advice and have Cookiebooy uninstalling his mouse and keyboard drivers. I assume a ps/2 keyboard and mouse would still work even if you did this....
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

26-Sep-2007, 11:36 PM #6
This may be too simple, but did you put a new battery in the mouse?
vicks

29-Sep-2007, 03:26 PM #7
Mattyc,

i appreciate the concern about not giving me bad advice on this. unfortunately i dont have a PS/2 mouse or keyboard atm. once i get my hands on one i will try this. in the meantime ill see if i can find a way to do this w/o uninstalling drivers.

Vicks,

heh, yeah the batteries in the mouse work fine.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!