Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Hard Drive shows 0 Bytes

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Sep-2007, 07:48 PM #1
Solved: Hard Drive shows 0 Bytes
A friend of mine has asked for my help in retrieving data from her hard drive that apparently is infested with one (or multiple) virus(es). She can no longe boot her machine using this hard drive.

I took the hard drive from her eMachine (running Win 2K) and hooked it up to mine (running Win 2K) as a slave. After rebooting my system, I can see the drive, but the system tells me there are 0 bytes and I need to reformat it - which, of course, I can't do until I retrieve the data files.

The hard drive is a Maxtor, 160GB, ATA drive. Model WD1600

Is there a way to retrieve her data? Is there a software application capable of doing this, or is there a way I can repair/restore his boot sector (which I assume is corrupt)?

BTW, I am running all kinds of AV software to try and keep the viruses from infecting my machine. I had hoped to be able to read her hard drive and try to clean it using my AV software (NIS 2006).

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

27-Sep-2007, 09:54 PM #2
Hard Drive shows 0 Bytes - Updated info
After doing some more research, it seems that FDisk /mbr is one possible solution. However, after talking wth my friend I found out that the OS she was using is not 2K, but rather ME. Not sure if this matters or not.

Can anyone tell me if running Win 2K - FDisk on a hard drive set up with Win ME will cause a problem?

Anyone????

Thanks.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Sep-2007, 10:47 PM #3
Windows ME on a 160GB hard drive??

The condition of the master boot record has nothing to do with the ability of another system to read the drive as a data drive.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Sep-2007, 11:17 PM #4

28-Sep-2007, 02:01 AM #5
drive showing 0 bytes
DoubleHelix - I was under the impression that if the MBR had been corrupted, the disk could not be read.

Could you please elaborate on both of your comments?

Much appreciated.

Elvandil ~

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try one or two and let you know how it comes out.

Would the "damaged partition tables" result in the drive showing up as having 0 Bytes?
Junior Member with 13 posts.

28-Sep-2007, 02:29 AM #6
Hi bobjames,

I understand the pain of losing data. I had a similar experience of data loss due to malware. But, thanks to the Data Recovery Software that can help you recover the lost data.

There are times when people opt for certain software for recovering. However, you should be cautious while using such tools because selecting any wrong option can overwrite on your existing data, making it impossible for you to recover your data.

I personally used Disk Doctors Instant File Recovery Software and got all my data back. See if it helps you as well.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

28-Sep-2007, 08:26 AM #7
Since a plain data drive doesn't even have an MBR, I can't see why you'd need a good, clean, functioning one to pull data.

28-Sep-2007, 10:45 AM #8
0 Bytes
DH ~

Thank you for the reply.

Question: If the drive was originally the C: drive from a computer, it would have had a MBR (since the computer booted from it). That being said, although I understand a "normal" data drive would not need one, would I still need to rebuild the MBR on the drive in order to be able to read the contents?

Just trying to retrieve the files on it before I blast it.

Thanks again.
Computer Specs

28-Sep-2007, 01:59 PM #9
You would still need a partition table, but the MBR has nothing to do with accessing files on the drive. It is the boot sector. A faulty partition table could indicate that the drive was 0 bytes.

28-Sep-2007, 06:25 PM #10
0 Bytes
Success!

Thank you all for your input.

After trying several recovery programs, DI Partition Recovery (thanks Elvandil) worked like a charm. The program saved the majority of the files she was looking for. Although the software is a bit expensive, for her it was worth it.

Again my thanks everyone!!!
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2007, 12:29 AM #11
Good news. The program may prove useful again.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools at the top of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!