Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Overheating cpu

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Oct-2007, 08:23 PM #1
Overheating cpu
my cpu has been overheating for a while (when it runs at 100% for like 5 - 10 min)

i know this is not a problem of software because it happens when im rendering 3d models (which runs cpu at 100% for an extended period of time)

it runs idle at about 158F and over heats at around 172F (when it shuts down)

i also know its not the heat sink when i touch it its hot. im wondering if theres a way i can fix this even at the sacrifice of cpu speed. i also took it off and reapplied heat sink compound about a week after this started.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

17-Oct-2007, 09:51 PM #2
If the heat sink is hot then the fan is not doing it's job properly.
Sometimes the fan speed reduces with age, usually when the grease/lubricant dries out.
You can fix it by taking the fan out, removing the round label in the middle, remove the little round split washer on the fan spindle, remove the fan, clean the spindle and inside the hole it fits in to, re-grease with a light grease or tiny drop of silicon oil and replace. Make sure the spit washer sits in the groove around the spindle when you put it back.
Remove any dust that's accumulated in the heat sink.
If you have a graphics card with a fan on clean that too, they do stop working.
Make sure you have adequate ventilation in the PC case.
Also if the processor voltage is adjustable in the bios make sure it's set right.
Check in the Startup to see if you can switch any other programs off that don't really need to be running. Type msconfig in the run box on the start menu and press Enter.
Click the Startup tab top right and go through the list and untick what you don't need. Restart when finished.
When it restarts click the little white box on the left in the popup, that stops it popping up every time you switch on, and it's only to tell you that something has been changed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!