Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lost USB port on Emachine

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Oct-2007, 04:47 PM #1
Lost USB port on Emachine
Hi Guys,
I have a W3502 Emachine i use in my business. I know not the best choice, but that is the best I could do with the money I had. I was trying to set up an HP all-In-one printer and somehow lost my USB controllers. If I reboot the computer it tries to find the drivers, but can't. I have uninstalled the controllers and have it reset but this does not work. I also checked the BIOS and it says USB is enabled. The Board is a GC1101M 15A.0030.2006.0707.2039 and I am running Windows XP home. I talked to tech support at Emachine but they where kind of week. Tried to find and download drivers but can't get any to work.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Member with 923 posts.

25-Oct-2007, 06:24 PM #2
http://www.e4me.com/support/product_...es&model=W3502

That is all the driver updates for your machine... the first looks like your best bet as I can't see another motheboard related driver...

If still no joy post back and I'll have another look
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2007, 07:43 PM #3
Ya, I've been here. it's not much help. I tried the BIOS update but it didn't get me anywhere. I think I might cut my losses and get an USB PCI card to install. If any one has any better idea's let me know, but I think this is my easiest and quickest fix.
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

25-Oct-2007, 10:36 PM #4
You did a System Restore to say 4 days ago to see if it clears up? Jazz
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2007, 06:11 AM #5
Ya Jazz, I went back almost twenty days back and got nothing.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 11:22 AM #6
Your best bet is just to go ahead, and get the PCI/USB card.

That board is a manufacturer proprietary version of the Intel D101GGC. Back in 2005 Intel built two boards (the D101GGC and the D102GGC2) both of which used the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. The boards were built to compete in the very "low end" market and were the only two boards Intel built with ATI chipsets. Intel discontinued both boards about a year after they were introduced.

Since you say on reboot Windows can't find the drivers, the chipset driver MAY have become corrupted, and the board doesn't know how to configure the USB ports.

You could try using the ATI driver from the Intel site, but I wouldn't guarantee it would work, and it could possibly exacerbate your problem.
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2007, 03:41 PM #7
Thanks Win2kpro, I figured it was something like that.

It seems that this is the best fix, without having to worry if something else might go wrong.

One question, should I just go into the BIOS and disable the "usb all" to keep windows from trying to find the drivers on boot up?
Member with 923 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 03:52 PM #8
Yup. disable the onboard to stop that and any other conflicts that may occur.
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 03:54 PM #9
When you fix it don't forget to let us know it's been Resolved or hasn't. Glad you've decided the best course of action. They say the most difficult issue is life is that of Deciding...I think they- who ever they are - have it right. Luck and let us know...Jazz
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 05:54 PM #10
Yes, go ahead and disable the onboard USB in BIOS. If the PCI card doesn't solve the problem you may have to try updating the chipset driver off the Intel site. Normally, on proprietary motherboards the only difference is the BIOS, however I have seen a few instances where OEM manufacturers such as eMachines has Intel change the firmware in the chipset driver. That's why I am hesitant to suggest that you try the Intel chipset driver.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2007, 03:41 PM #11
Ok, here is the new one. I bought a PCI card it is a nexxtech usb 4+1 port usb 2.0 http://www.nexxtech.com/nexxtech_usa.html I put the card in an ran the driver files as it said to do in the instructions. still the drivers could not be found. Next I tried downloading the chipset driver from Intel, this still did not work. so i tried to install the drivers from the card once more, when the program came up i noticed that the program said it was for win. xp sp1 my system has sp2 in it. I don't know if this is the problem as to why the card can not find the drivers but I suspect that it is. I did some searching but from what i can tell the drivers have not been made for sp2 but they have been made for vista. I check some of the other cards on the market and found this to be a common problem. I'm now looking for ideas. anyone have any?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!