Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New Computer Partition Question

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Oct-2007, 04:43 PM #1
New Computer Partition Question
We have a new Dell in bound and I would like to know if it makes sense to partition the new hard drive before we install any new programs. As I understand it, at least in XP Home, it's a good idea to install apps on c: and have any temp files that the apps create ( as from burning Cds etc..) be directed to a partition. This keeps the OS part of the hard drive from getting cluttered. Any thoughts? The new system will be Vista Home Premium. Thanks for your time.
Senior Member with 194 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Oct-2007, 07:39 PM #2
What software do you have for partitioning the hard drive? Is the software GUARANTEED to be compatible with Vista? If not, you're asking for MAJOR problems; you could damage the Vista installation, and then you'd have to try to restore the ORIGINAL partition, with no guarantee of success...

Not trying to rain on your parade here; while I applaud your idea, I'm concerned that Vista is going to cause you nothing but grief unless you take precautions BEFORE you try to partition that HDD...

I don't know if Dell will provide you a DVD (or CDs) to restore Vista with, or if you'll only have the original image on a hidden partition on the HDD. If the image is on the HDD, be DOUBLY sure your software will work with Vista, and that you do NOT touch the image file, or you'll soon be buying a RETAIL copy of Vista (or switching back to XP)...

Best of luck to you; please let us know which software product you're going to use to partition Vista, along with which VERSION of the product you're going to use. Unless it is guaranteed to work with Vista right out of the box, I'd have to recommend that you re-think this approach, or be prepared for a LOT of problems in the days ahead...
Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

30-Oct-2007, 07:48 PM #3
I have to apologize for sounding more advanced than I really am. The mistake I made here is, on our existing system, I installed a second hard drive, partitioned it, and pointed all subsequent apps temp files etc to go to a place on the new hard drive. This is a case where alittle info in the wrong hands(mine) is not good. My bad for thinking I could do something like that on a new system(WINXP), let alone on Vista. No rain on this parade, just, as always, great volunteer advice from this forum/site. Thanks again for your time.

30-Oct-2007, 08:13 PM #4
No need to apologize to me; I only wanted to give you enough information to make an informed decision about partitioning Vista. I think it would be a GREAT idea to add a second HDD to your new system, and partition IT just as you've done previously. That way, you could make a complete backup image file of Vista onto the second HDD, then unplug it from the system (though leave it installed in the case) for an emergency. THEN, you could go ahead and partition the original Vista HDD, and if anything went wrong, you could restore the Vista image from the second HDD onto the original HDD, and avoid a LOT of heartburn. That seems like the best of both worlds to me...

I really hope you'll consider that; install a second HDD, make a backup image of the original Vista installation and store it on the second HDD, and disconnect it to keep it safe while you partition the original Vista HDD. You could make SEVERAL image files, so you'll become familiar with the procedure... They'd also serve as extra images, in case the one you try to restore from is damaged or corrupted somehow...

This is up to you; I think you have an excellent idea, and I hope you'll give some thought to installing a second HDD and following through with your partitioning plans, AFTER you make some backup images as a safety net. You'd learn a lot in the process, and you'd be better prepared for a complete meltdown of the original HDD...

Best wishes; let us know if you have any more questions about this...
Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 07:13 AM #5
Since this PC will be used by the kids, I really want to install a second drive, and make an image. Is this the place(the hardware forum) to ask about doing that in Vista? It's probably best to do it as soon as the PC arrives, yes? Will my questions be a long the lines; what hard drives can I put into the system?, what do I use to mirror or copy the image of the new computer to the second hard drive? are hard drives the same for Vista as XP? I checked with the sales people at Dell, and according to them, they ship restore discs with the system. It sounded like there is no separate dics for the OS, only it's IN the recovery discs. Thansk again for your time.

31-Oct-2007, 09:27 AM #6
Actually, I'd suggest that you start a new thread for advice on the best software to use for partitioning the second HDD with Vista as your OS, the best method for creating disk images, and whatever else you need to know in the Vista forum, since you need OS-specific advice now, and I for one am CERTAINLY not qualified to advise you on what works with Vista...

Hope these suggestions help you decide the best way to approach this; I think you've got the bull (Vista) by the horns now, so you can eventually beat these problems into submission...
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 11:00 AM #7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e+home&x=0&y=0
Version 10 will be good enough ... Works on my Vista or XP.

You can partition a new drive as you build it up with Acronis.
I like to partition my drives so the OS and installed programs ONLY are in the C: drive.
then add a DATA partition for all the stored Data.
YES .. I think this is a good idea for several reasons.

Something like this dual bootable config.
Attached Thumbnails
New Computer Partition Question-clipboard01.gif  
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is online now Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2007, 11:09 AM #8
I assume your new puter will use SATA drives.
I like (have) either of these .. they run quick and cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144701
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136074

These OEM's do not come with cables ... You'll probably need to get another SATA cable ..
Something like .. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812123163

You'll have to burn your own recovery DVDs when it arrives.
Have I covered all the questions ??
Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 08:32 PM #9
I'm going to try this. The new system arrived today. So this should be the first thing I do? Get the new SATA hard drive and install it. Then use Acronis. Noyb(Number 5?) says I can partition the drive as " I build it up" with Acronis. I'm not sure what that means, "build it up". Anyways, so the best scenario would be for me to install a second hard drive, then nirror the existing one before I do anything else on the PC? Going to see if I can get the suggested hardware locally, so far, it's around, bu the prices aren't as good as newegg.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,147 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 08:54 PM #10
While I use and recommend acronis products, there is no need for it here. You can simply use vista's built in disk tools to shrink the existing partition, create a new one and format it in disk management.

Now as far as your question; I would not bother to create a partition just for temp files, page file, etc. Just use a good disk cleanup app like CCleaner.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2007, 07:14 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmac
....The new system arrived today. So this should be the first thing I do...
If it didn't come with the Dell recovery DVDs ... Make your own NOW.

I forgot that Vista can partition as CRJ said.

The only reason I can think of to Parition the HD is if you have many gigs of data and you want to keep the Vista system partition small for easy/quick maintenance such as defragging, scanning for malware … etc…
Then you can put all your Data in another partition.
How many gigs of data do you intend to store ?

Now, I’m not sure why you want a second drive … Internal Backup Maybe ??
Using Acronis … You can specify the partition size as you clone the partitions ….
Leaving room for another partition. So you can partition as you "build it up"
But with Vista this may not be needed.

You’re telling your age if you recognized #5
Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

02-Nov-2007, 10:33 AM #12
Ok, let me make sure I have this straight. Vista is capable of partitioning, so, when I open the box, I should be able to partition the new machine, using Vista. The only reason I would partition it is, the kids edit video and do alot with music burning and storing etc....and I know the editing and burning apps produce alot of files and fragments. Sending the files made by these apps to a separate partition makes it faster to defrag just that part of the drive. As for getting a second drive, this would be for mirroring Vista(using Acronis) for a system failure and restore. Dell said I will be getting recovery dics, so this may not be needed, only backup what is important to an external drive? I was leaning towards the second drive because I got the feeling from one of the above posts, that Vista is capable of system problems. But now that I think of it, the poster may have been refering to problems arising from me partitioning the new PC...Thanks for ALL your patience.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2007, 10:54 AM #13
Then you'll probably want to make a Data partition like I showed in Post #7.
No sense in scanning all your Data over n over again for malware ... etc ...
This'll also make your Vista OS Acronis Recovery images much smaller.
I back up my Data using Copy n Paste to somewhere else.
And place my Acronis system recovery files there also ... It's only more data at this point.

Yes .. Its wise to have a backup ... especially when partitioning.
Vista Partitioning worked pretty good for me .. But after playing with it about 4 times on the same drive ...
I had to restore it. Don't over do it unless you're ready to restore

Does the new Dell have a recovery partition ???
Can you attach a screen shot of the Disc management screen for it ??
Do you already have an External HD ??

FWIW ... I have a couple of these enclosures ....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817424001
Because they hold a SATA drive ... Just like in my Computer.
Then I can swap drives between the computer and the enclosure if needed.
many possibilities here.
Computer Specs
Member with 810 posts.

02-Nov-2007, 12:05 PM #14
This will make you laugh; The system arrived yesterday. It's a Christmas present for our oldest kid, and he doesn't know it's here. I'm working all weekend and have to wait until Tuesday until I set it up, check it out and work on it. I may or may not put it back in the box afterwards. I'm worried if we wait until December and there's something wrong with it, I won't be able to send it back...I DO realize this sounds nuts. Anyways, I'm still confused as hell. Are you saying in Post#7 to partition the drive in the new computer with Acronis or with Vista? Should I just have an external drive for the kid's music and vidoe backups and use the Dell Restore discs if any thing catastrophic happens? Putting a second drive in the new box, mirroring the new PC's drive then unplugging the second drive sounds great, but do I need to do it? Thanks for your CONTINUED patience.....
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2007, 12:36 PM #15
OH boy ... Too Many Options.
First .. Make sure you have the Dell Recovery DVDs
Sounds like you're going to have many gigs of stored Data (videos) ... and partitioning will be a big advantage.
Don't store anything in "My Docs" or on the desktop ... that's in the C: partition.
I might advise about a 50gig C: vista partition .. or a little bigger if you have the space.

Vista should be able to do the Partitioning
If you have a recovery partition, it might complicate the Partitioning.
I need to see your Disc management screen ... Where is the recovery partition ??

I think I may recommend an external HD next .. I like the enclosure approach as I mentioned.
Then get Acronis to go with the external.
You can backup Everything to the external ... (including other computers)
This will save some headaches if you mess up Vista ... but will need some learning.

As far as a second internal .. This could be your third step.
You mentioned video editing .. These heavy programs like to have their temp working files placed in a physically different internal Hard drive ... for speed reasons.
Might as well use this second internal for a first order backup while your at it.
Then the external becomes a second order backup.

This clear up the confusion any ??

Last edited by Noyb; 02-Nov-2007 at 12:41 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!