Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Dell All in One problems with fax & copier

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Nov-2007, 05:08 PM #1
Solved: Dell All in One problems with fax & copier
I have a Dell 962 all in one with two major problems, both very recent in its 2 year history of acceptable performance:

1. Copies are not readable due to black lines and gray areas
2. When used as a stand alone fax it transmits pages of solid black.

The printer and scanner functions work fine.

I have recently changed the printer cartridges, cleaned the large scanner glass and the thin glass lens below the automatic document feeder. I am sure that the original is oriented with the correct side up when sending the faxes.

I have been unable to find any references to this combination of problems.

I have a 2 year old Dell Inspiron computer with Windows XP Pro, and am subscribed to Bell South fast access (now AT&T)

Any suggestions or references toward a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

kellyplus
Account Closed with 195 posts.

20-Nov-2007, 07:25 PM #2
Have you gotten the problems with the 962 resolved? On the off chance you haven't I have some information that might help.

From checking the documentation it should work as a standalone fax. Does the fax feature work when controlled by fax software on the computer?

For the copy problem I have a few questions to make sure I understand what you are describing. You state the print and scan functions work properly -- does this mean pages print with no lines? If this is the case, and scanned images look normal, then something in the copy control portion of the printer or the printer software is the problem.

If you haven't already tried it, I would recommend downloading the latest driver/software for the 962 from the Dell support website (http://support.dell.com). Then uninstall the printer software, open Device Manager and remove the printer (if it is listed), disconnect the printer and restart the computer. Once it finishes starting back up run the downloaded driver install and, when prompted, connect the printer to complete the setup. If this is just a problem with the software or configuration the problem should be resolved. If it doesn't fix it then, unfortunately, I'm thinking the printer would need to be replaced.

If you have any questions on this I'll be happy to answer them.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2007, 08:14 PM #3
Dell 962 problems
Thank you Larry,

Unfortunately, my problem is not resolved. I had not received any responses at all, and had just about given up.

After looking more closely at my scans and copies, I think the problem may be with the light source that drives those two functions.

Copies are so dark and streaked they are unreadable and unusable. Scans are a little more legible, but barely readable, and only if the original has very high contrast. Both sent-faxes and copies require the use of the machine's light source.

On the other hand, although I can print normally from the connected computer and I can receive faxes with no problem, when I send one, recipients receive pages that are all black. Neither the computer-generated printing nor the stand-alone fax-receiving functions require the use of the light source (bulb).

I can only conclude the problem is the light source, but even if correct, I'm not sure what to do about it if it were to be verified.

Tomorrow I will try your suggestions and let you know the results. I am particularly interested in attempting to send a fax via computer. If successful it will help confirm my hypothesis.

If there is any way you can help me to determine whether or not the light source for this AIO printer can be replaced, that would be a great help. (The printer is a year past warranty.)

Again, thanks so much for your helpful response.

kellyplus
Account Closed with 195 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 01:59 PM #4
The only thing shared between the copy, scan and fax functions is the part that actually scans the document to build the digital copy. I don't think the light itself is the problem, although if it has failed that might be the cause (no light, poor contrast detection). Faxes sent from the printer are probably all black because faxes tend to be black-and-white with no grey, so the contrast issue is just made worse.

From what you describe I think the outgoing faxes from the computer will go out properly since it doesn't have to read a document, just a file.

Unfortunately, all of the information i was able to find about that specific model of printer point to it not having specific replaceable parts. The normal warranty on them is and Advanced Exchange (i.e., we send you a replacement printer if it has a problem in warranty). I don't know how difficult it would be (there are no teardown instructions like a computer would have) but if you had another 962 that was able to scan documents with no problems but had other problems you might be able to get a working printer by trading parts between them. This is not something supported by Dell, nor is it something I have done myself, but it is the only solution short of getting a replacement that I can think of.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
Computer Specs

03-Dec-2007, 06:42 PM #5
Larry,

Thanks for your comments. I don't have access to another 962 to salvage parts for mine, so I have bit the bullet and replaced the printer.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to try and help me.

kellyplus
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!