Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Red light on NIC

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 08:23 PM #1
Red light on NIC
Lately my downloads and page loads have been very very slow relative to what they used to be (just my feel for it, I have run no download tests) weeks or months ago. Tonight I checked the back of the PC to see if the Ethernet cable was loose, which it wasn't, but I did notice a red light and a yellow light on on the back of the NIC.

I don't check the back of the PC often but I could swear it used to be green...the red light stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

Does this mean the card is failing? or something else?

I googled it and couldn't find much out. This forum has saved me in the past and I'm hoping for the same with this.

Thanks much in advance.

Tom

Running WinXP on a Dell Dimension 8300, 3.2Ghz, 1 gig ram.....
Member with 22,468 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 08:39 PM #2
For starters, might try an different network cable and port that the computer is using.
Member with 48 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 08:46 PM #3
Update...

I checked the device manager and it shows a yellow explanation point next to the device labeled Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter.

I've never even heard of this..

This is a C&P of the error message I get when I open the properties dialog box..

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

If I right click and uninstall, will it reinstall upon rebooting? Or am I opening a can of worms?

Thanks again.
Member with 48 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 08:09 AM #4
It also appears I don't have a regular NIC in the box. I never really looked before but the cable appears to plug into the back of the PC and seems connected to a small box inside the PC...confusing?

On my old PC I added a NIC so the cable plugged directly into the NIC I added....there is no separate card on this Dell (3 or 4 year old machine), just a port for the cable and a very small box on the inside that it appears to plug into..

Any other thoughts? Maybe if I buy a separate NIC and use it instead of what it's using now??

This is a Dell Dimension 8300, 3.2GHz P4 machine...

30-Nov-2007, 08:23 AM #5
That computer is supposed to have an integrated network card on the motherboard.
Member with 48 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 10:52 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
That computer is supposed to have an integrated network card on the motherboard.
I'm sure that's what the little box is. I've had the PC for years and never had any trouble with it at all. I saw the red light and investigated further, surprised me to not see a card in a slot so I figured it was integrated. But I'm wondering if the red light means the card, integrated or not, is failing somehow.

I've never heard of a Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter nor have I ever seen an entry in the device manager for it...until now. It has the yellow exclamation point by it so there is some sort of problem with it. Unfortunately resolving the problem seems to be a problem...after googling it there seems to be no simple solution.

This is why I was wondering if I'd be better off just buying a new NIC and popping it in a slot and being done with the integrated one. My download speeds seem very slow and a red light is on...I'm just assuming they are related.

I have no idea of the failure rate of that type of hardware...maybe it's not the hardware that is failing. I'm clueless about it right now and just kind of grabbing at straws.

30-Nov-2007, 01:37 PM #7
If you want to get another network card they are not that expensive or difficult to install.
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

Experience: Intermediate/Advanced
30-Nov-2007, 01:52 PM #8
Yeah... If you're worried, just spend like $10 on a new card and get on with your life. It's that simple.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Nov-2007, 03:48 PM #9
You might try the driver cd for the pc first to try to reinstall the nic card driver, and you could also uninstall and reboot to let Windows reinstall as you suggested but if all that fails, yes add a new pci ethernet card.
dannyn has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,689 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2007, 05:44 PM #10
find the driver on the internet....go to device manager.. then clcik upate the drivers.
Member with 48 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 05:59 PM #11
Thanks for all the input. I need to hit BB tomorrow so I think I'll pick up a new card then and give it a shot.
Member with 48 posts.

02-Dec-2007, 08:19 AM #12
Kind of related note here....I haven't gone out yet to buy a new NIC but is there an advantage to buying a 10/100/1000 as opposed to a 10/100 NIC?

I do have a wired home network but don't currently move much data on it, may someday but don't currently. The NIC would be primarily for internet surfing. I also use a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router/switch.

Any advantage to internet use with a Gigabit card instead of a Ethernet card? My provider is Comcast and I think I have the 6mb down service.

Thanks.

02-Dec-2007, 09:20 AM #13
Likely a 10/100 card is all you are going to need. Most are that way anyway.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Dec-2007, 10:40 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayfair11
Kind of related note here....I haven't gone out yet to buy a new NIC but is there an advantage to buying a 10/100/1000 as opposed to a 10/100 NIC?

I do have a wired home network but don't currently move much data on it, may someday but don't currently. The NIC would be primarily for internet surfing. I also use a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router/switch.

Any advantage to internet use with a Gigabit card instead of a Ethernet card? My provider is Comcast and I think I have the 6mb down service.

Thanks.
For the internet at the moment gigbit Nic card is meaningless though who knows some day the technology might catch up. For it to be meaningful on network, you need other pc's to have gigabit cards and also either a gigabit switch for router or a gigabit router as well to route to the other pc's to take advantage of the speed difference and it also requires different ethernet cables I believe a cat5e cables as well.
Member with 48 posts.

02-Dec-2007, 10:42 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
For the internet at the moment gigbit Nic card is meaningless though who knows some day the technology might catch up. For it to be meaningful on network, you need other pc's to have gigabit cards and also either a gigabit switch for router or a gigabit router as well to route to the other pc's to take advantage of the speed difference and it also requires different ethernet cables I believe a cat5e cables as well.
Thanks. I have the Cat5e cabling in place but no gigabit cards in the other PC's nor do I have a gigabit router or switch. Looks like 10/100 is the ticket.

Thanks for the explanation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!