Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No hard drive detected!!

(!)

Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Dec-2007, 01:05 PM #1
No hard drive detected!!
My DELL Latitude D520 Windows XP laptop had been working fine until one day it suddenly told me there were no bootable devices. I ran the onboard diagnostics and it said there was no hard drive detected. It's only a year and a half old and i have no idea what is wrong. Can anyone help??
Thanks...
pinntech pinntech is offline   pinntech has a birthday soon! pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
30-Dec-2007, 01:18 PM #2
Hi, welcome and happy Sunday!

Well, as much as I hate to disappoint you, it does indeed sound like a fail hard disk drive. This solely based on the “built-in” diagnostics results that you provided. They are usually good a determining when the drive is not detectable, but that’s about all.

Let me see if I can find some documentation on your laptop, but “normally” the task of replacing the drives in laptops now days is pretty simple to do. Even at the beginner level.

Do you have your restoration disk?

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Shane
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Dec-2007, 01:22 PM #3
HI Shane, yep having a good sunday thanks. Is it possible to retrieve anything from the hard drive. I do have the recovery disk but didn't want to use it yet. could it be a loose connection somewhere?
pinntech pinntech is offline   pinntech has a birthday soon! pinntech has a Profile Picture

30-Dec-2007, 01:22 PM #4
I’m back… I found some really good documentation for your laptop on Dell’s support page.

Removing the HDD:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1123687

Complete service manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m_en/index.htm

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Shane
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Dec-2007, 04:49 PM #5
Something like this could be used to copy off anything from the old drive...if it cannot be read you can try freezing it for 4 hours in a Ziplok bag and then try again and copy quickly if you see anything.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9277&CatId=470

Last edited by Rich-M; 30-Dec-2007 at 06:37 PM..

30-Dec-2007, 06:06 PM #6
Hi again….

Well, it is possible that “something” is loose, but highly unlikely unless you dropped the laptop recently!

Sure, take the drive out and reseat it… try to see if it will access. No doubt about that one & it’s worth trying too!

As to data recovery… It’s always worth a try, but “NOT DETECTED” usually means either the controller board on the drive is faulty or the drive motor is dead.

You can buy a 2.5” to 3.5” hard drive adapter and hook it up to a normal PC to try and retrieve the data. It’s always worth a try, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up “too high”. There are professional data recovery providers that can get the information off the drive regardless of the state. However, it better be REALLY important because that is a very costly service!

As to “freezing” the drive…. I have never seen that work when the drive is not detected at all. I have seen it work on a “failing” drive that gets extremely HOT when you try to recover the files and dies because it overheats.

I hate to admit this, but I actually managed to get data off of a drive by slamming it super hard, FLAT on it’s TOP SIDE on the ground too. It ran after slamming it down. However, I do not recommend trying this unless you JUST DON’T CARE anymore and say “what the heck” better than nothing.

Good luck and have fun!

Shane
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Dec-2007, 06:07 AM #7
Recovering files from old/formatted/injuried harddrives is quite simple with Getdataback from http://www.runtime.org/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!