Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dual Core????

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2008, 01:19 PM #1
Dual Core????
Hello,

I've just bought an Intel 2140 1.6Ghz Dual Core CPU to fit into a Gigabyte 8i865GME - 775 - RH motherboard and I'm not sure all is well. I've never used Dual Core before and I'm not sure that the motherboard supports Dual Core 1, it states it supports Dual Core 2 from this I assumed that it also supports Dual Core 1. When booting up the screen displays "Main Processor : Genuine Intel (r) CPU 2140 @ 1.60 Ghz (200x8)".

Does this mean that the motherboard is only detecting a single core CPU or is this normal for Dual Core. The motherboard manual isn't too helpful as it's a multi motherboard support job that has options that aren't in my BIOS. I've contacted Gigabyte support but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 339 posts.

01-Jan-2008, 01:53 PM #2
Well, I'm not familiar with Gigabyte boards or their BIOSs, but you can check to see if you are using both cores by logging into Windows and launching the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). From there, go to the performance tab. If you see three graphs, then you are OK- there should be two on the top, one on the bottom.
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2008, 02:44 PM #3
Dual Core
Hello Waldo II,

Thanks for the tip

I'm beginning to think the motherboard doesn't support Dual Core 1 and I'll have to go back the Celeron single core. Would you happen to know if a Celeron single core 3.2Ghz running at 533 FSB would run faster than a Dual Core running at 1.6 at 800Mhz as the Dual Core does work.

Cheers
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 531 posts.

01-Jan-2008, 02:56 PM #4
Here's the list of supported CPUs for your motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2223

That board supports everything from a Celeron D 533fsb to a Core 2 Extreme Quad 1333fsb!

You may want to check Everest Home or SIW to see if it's detecting both cores.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2008, 03:16 PM #5
Dual Core
Hello Elf Stone,

Thanks for the response and the link, I appreciate it.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to your good self.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 339 posts.

01-Jan-2008, 09:33 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Soft Lad View Post
Would you happen to know if a Celeron single core 3.2Ghz running at 533 FSB would run faster than a Dual Core running at 1.6 at 800Mhz as the Dual Core does work.
The Core 2 Duo will be faster than the Celeron. A lot of people think that the clock speed of a chip (the number of GHz) represents the speed of the chip. This is just plain not true. There are many, many other factors that determine the speed of a chip- cache sizes, FSB, the method it interacts with RAM, the speed at which it interacts with RAM, how fast the caches are, 32-bit versus 64-bit, etc. The Core 2 Duo chips are far more advanced than Celeron chips. Celerons have always been crap.

Also, a lot of people think that in dual-core chips, you can multiply the clock speed by the number of cores to get the effective speed. This too is false. Dual-core chips can handle two operations at once because they have two cores- older, single core chips can only handle one. So, if you are running two programs at once on a dual-core rig, then both will run at their fastest without slowing down. If you ran two programs on a single-core rig, then they would both slow down because they are both sharing the same core.
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2008, 08:42 PM #7
Dual Core v Celeron
Hello Waldo,

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I made myself clear with my last post, The Dual Core 1 not Core 2 Duo it's a 2140 (first generation) isn't fully supported by the motherboard and will only use a single core ie 1 1.6Ghz with 1MB of L2 Cache running at 800Mhz, does your kind response still apply if the Celeron would run at 533FSB with 512k L2 Cache? I guess I'm just being swayed by the basic numbers (3.2 v 1.6)
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2008, 08:54 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf-stone View Post
That board supports everything from a Celeron D 533fsb to a Core 2 Extreme Quad 1333fsb!
Where do you see the dual core 2140 being supported?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 531 posts.

02-Jan-2008, 09:07 PM #9
You are right, of course win2kpro. When I looked at the page it was not full-screen and I did not see the N/A. I thought it was just a list of supported CPUs.
Very sorry about that.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2008, 09:19 PM #10
Elf, it's not your fault, these Taiwan manufacturers have a screwy way of listing supported processors. I have no idea why they even bother with listing non supported processors on a supported processor list. They've been around Microsoft too long, as in press START to SHUT DOWN.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!