Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Event ID 7 - has a bad block... Hard Drive Issue...

(!)

NetKnockout NetKnockout is offline NetKnockout has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Perspicacious, (Advanced)
10-Jan-2008, 10:41 PM #1
Event ID 7 - has a bad block... Hard Drive Issue...
*HELP* Thanks, in advance for any and all help! *HELP*

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

I am an advanced user, and would not be posting if I could have figured this out on my own... Anyhow, my mouse recently started "sticking"... I figured I would defrag/ check drivers/ clean drives/ etc., however, I wasn't able to defrag, as I repeatedly received the message below:

Each time I would follow the instructions and reboot, however it appeared that my efforts weren't being acknowledged. So, I decided to find a freeware fast defrag program and did, Driver Heaven Tune XP,.... (see below)...

I ran the defrag on my 2nd drive, (my G drive)... Though, it took much longer than I had hoped and I ended up canceling the defrag.... I then tried to retrieve something from that drive and was told that the disk in drive G is not formatted, would you like to format it! ... Tried system restore, no luck... Checked the event manager and there are more than 1,866 error items listed for the past 24 hours!!!! (See below)... The error message was: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block. (see below)...(Note: I don't think the letter D is referencing any particular drive, I'll post a SS of my drive list as well...)

I went to computer management... Where it listed both my hard drives and said they were both active and healthy?????

Then, I zipped over to Panda for a virus scan, then to PC Pitstop where I ran the full test, and scanned my pc for driver updates. Whilst running the driver scan I received the messages posted below....

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of... Mentally exhausted, I stand before you, wearing a pleading expression and doleful eyes, as I break into song, "Help me if you can, I'm feeling down, And I do appreciate you being round. Help me, get my files back safe and sound, Won't you please, please help me?"

~Niki~

PS. There were several other information and error messages, as well, some of them over a dozen times each....

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: fasttx2k

The ATWPKT2 service was successfully sent a start control.

The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.

The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 08:58 AM #2
"\Device\Harddisk1\D" refers to your second physical drive (Harddisk1), so that is your G:\ drive. What type of drive is it?

I ask because your "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: fasttx2k" error seems to be related to a RAID driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 09:51 AM #3

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 09:54 AM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 10:07 AM #5
Under System Config - Boot Ini.

Also when I click this:

I get this:
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2008, 10:08 AM #6
It looks like G:\ is an IDE drive. I cannot think of any reason why adding memory would hose your hard drive, but have you tried removing the 512MB you added when the problem began?
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 10:17 AM #7
No, I didn't because I couldn't imagine that that was the actual problem... I think more so, that perhaps some of my settings wound up changed???????

Oh, and should I delete the file I posted above?????

BTW: TY Frank
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2008, 10:25 AM #8
Yes, delete the "C:\CMDCONS..." line from boot.ini. Another thing to check is if the IDE cable for the G:\ drive is fully plugged in on both ends as it may have been pulled while installing the memory (though I would suspect windows wouldn't recognize the drive if it was, but who knows?).
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2008, 10:57 AM #9
Hi Nikki, just seen your mail, I've managed to fix the problems I had, had to reformat my slave but managed to recover files afterwards. Tried to reply to your email but it came back undelivered.

Funny how our problem drives are both maxtors of the same range!
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2008, 10:59 AM #10
just seen your song aswell! haha

when I was younger so much younger than today
we never owned pc's, we just went out to play
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Jan-2008, 12:05 PM #11
Lol, Andie... It's a good song...: )
How were you able to recover the files afterwards? I have to admit that makes me more than a little nervous....

Ok, Frank I'll do as you suggested...
One more thing, *smiles sweetly*:

Member with 51,018 posts.

20-Jan-2008, 06:20 PM #12
First--do a complete backup of your drive(s) because it may be a drive going bad. Are you using all IDE drives or any SATA drives? What I would do is disconnect all of your IDE devices except for the drive you need and see if the error occurs. If so, try a different cable for the main drive. What you want to do is systematically elimate possibilities. If you have another drive around, I'd try that it nothing else works--eliminate the possiblity of it be a main drive problem. But definitely backup your imporant information.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

23-Jan-2008, 06:00 AM #13
WELL, hmm, you took so long to get here that the problem, has hmm, changed, in other words, GREW....

I was given advice from someone in a similar situation, to go ahead and format the drive and then use "RecoverMyFiles" to retrieve the info. Said it would take about 3 hours...
(See below)

Well, that was before the system crashed.....: (

Now, the system doesn't even reconize the drive....
*sniff sniff* I'm so sad......

Member with 51,018 posts.

23-Jan-2008, 09:12 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKnockout View Post
WELL, hmm, you took so long to get here that the problem, has hmm, changed, in other words, GREW....

I was given advice from someone in a similar situation, to go ahead and format the drive and then use "RecoverMyFiles" to retrieve the info. Said it would take about 3 hours...
(See below)

Well, that was before the system crashed.....: (

Now, the system doesn't even reconize the drive....
*sniff sniff* I'm so sad......

DON'T REFORMAT THAT DRIVE. I have no idea why you would format a drive and then try to recover files. If the drive is readable (just not bootable) you'll have no problem recovering your files. I've had that situation more often (i.e, the drive is not bootable, but readable) then I've had a drive die and not be readable.

You didn't answer the questions though--about SATA and IDE.

But in any event, it may not matter at this point. Do you have another drive? What I would do is take out the main drive and see if you can read it as a slave (and that's why I asked about IDE or SATA because SATAs don't deal with master/slave so we dont' have to go through that issue). Again--though, you need to eliminate possibilities--the cables for one. Could be the controllers. At this point though you are going to have to take out the drive if you can't get your system to even recognize it. If it were me--I'd try that drive on a knowledgable friend's computer (with a face like that you should have no problem finding a geek computer guy to do you a favor! ) to see if its readable or put a new drive in there or some drive that you can install windows and see if you can just read the old drive and copy stuff over.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

23-Jan-2008, 10:29 PM #15
Mulderrrrrrrrrrrr.............
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!