Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard drive wont accept xp instalation.

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jan-2008, 08:09 AM #1
Hard drive wont accept xp instalation.
Can any one please help, i am trying to install Windows xp pro on to a new Maxtor Diamond Max 21 SATA hard drive in to a Dell Dimension E520 machine, when i try to install windows it starts to install files, and then i get a BSOD with the following message and error code. (cxf898f524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000 )
Quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again Follow these steps.

Check for Virus's on your computer, remove any newly installed hard drives or Hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure its properly configured and terminated

Run check disk/f to check for hard drive corruption then restart your computer.

There is only one hard drive on the computer, and have tried 3 different hard drives with the same result.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fagin; 16-Jan-2008 at 08:22 AM..
Senior Member with 736 posts.

16-Jan-2008, 06:46 PM #2
Two things you want to look at. If your machine only supports Sata1 and you are installing a new drive that is SAta2, then you need to change the jumper on that drive to make it so Sata1 is recognized by that drive.

Second, are you loading the Sata drivers at the F6 prompt when the OS disk starts loading??????
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jan-2008, 08:59 PM #3
That is an Intel early dual core cpu and at least a 915 chipset so no sata driver needs to be installed separately and I am sure. And considering the age of the model, that should also be sata II.
Have you added any ram to it? The issues that cause this are corrupted XP cd, problem cd drive, bad hard drive or mismatched memory.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2008, 09:02 PM #4
Check the HDD connection, I experienced this when I was installing a new HDD once and it was because the connector was loose. If possible, try using a different socket.
Member with 123 posts.

17-Jan-2008, 11:16 AM #5
Thanks every one for your replies.

I have checked the connections and they look ok, and if i put the old hard drive in it boots up no problem.

I have tried taking out the RAM one stick at a time (in case the RAM was causing a problem) and it will not then it will go no further than giving the BIOS information.

The original hard drive works perfectly, It is SATA 2, as is the new hard drive.

If any one has any other ideas would be most grateful, this problem is driving me crazy.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jan-2008, 12:39 PM #6
Are you sure you copied the error code correctly? Because when I search for it in a search engine, there are no results. Check to make sure you copied it right, because there should be suggested causes/solutions on microsoft.com for the error code. Then we can go from there.
Computer Specs

17-Jan-2008, 12:43 PM #7
Sounds like you have a new defective hard drive. I have had plenty of them from Seagate last year right out of the box.
Member with 123 posts.

17-Jan-2008, 02:44 PM #8
Thanks guys.

I have tried three hard drives and got the same result with all three.

Strangely though, i took out one stick of RAM and left one in to see if RAM was a problem, and it would not even give a blue screen then, it just got to the stage where it gave BIOS Iinfo,

i put the stick of RAM back in, and now even with both sticks in, it only goes as for as the BIOS info page.

Ile see if i can use memtest next and see what happens then.
Member with 123 posts.

17-Jan-2008, 05:19 PM #9
Ive just run Memtest and its returned no errors, so i guess that rules the RAM out.

If any one has any other idea's i would be greatly pleased to hear them.

Thanks.
Computer Specs

17-Jan-2008, 06:53 PM #10
As I said earlier here are the causes:
"The issues that cause this are corrupted XP cd, problem cd drive, bad hard drive or mismatched memory."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!