Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

my modem keeps losing signal

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 363 posts.

29-Jan-2008, 07:46 PM #1
my modem keeps losing signal
I have been having this problem for a few months now. I will lose my internet connection on my moms computer and have to not only unplug the modem power cable but also the internet cable as well to get it to start working again. The problem pops up everyday or so.

I have been through 3 different modems so far and also have been through all the usual stuff that the service provider and computer manufacturuer usually walk you through and evrything seems fine. My service provider (Wowway) has been out 3 times so far and they say everything checks out fine.

Has anyone had any similiar problems and might know a fix for this.

The computer in question is a Compaq Presario sr5113wm.

As always any help would be appreciated.
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2008, 09:42 AM #2
Has anyone seen this before? Its getting old qiuck having to constantly disconnect mt wires whenever I want to use the internet.
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 02:33 PM #3
My son had the same issues with his modems. He went through several supposing it was the modem, only eventually to discover it was actually the telephone line into the house. It took several calls to our telephone company to get a repair man out but when we finally did and he followed the lines out he discovered an issue with the main line and the one that connects to my son's home. When he fixed the wire, WaLa - no more trouble. If your modem checks out call your Telephone provider and tell them there's a problem with the wiring and you need a repair man to check it out. Good Luck...let us know...Jazz
Computer Specs

01-Feb-2008, 04:09 PM #4
I have a cable modem. So do you think maybe the line is semi-severed outside?
bigbear bigbear is offline   bigbear has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Feb-2008, 04:13 PM #5
Have you tried updating the modem firmware?
My modem was dropping off until I upgraded the firmware

Last edited by bigbear; 01-Feb-2008 at 04:21 PM..
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

01-Feb-2008, 04:13 PM #6
If the modems that have been checked as working properly by the company seem intact then the logical answer would be it would be whatever is connecting the modem to the outside wiring or the cable itself.
Call whoever runs the cable into the modem, and tell them you need a repair man. Let us know...Jazz
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2008, 10:31 PM #7
Its not so much the modems that have been checked as it is the signal coming in. In fact the signal was checked more then once and the cable guy said that the signal is strong.

I just had another modem installed and it's rented from the cable company. I thought that maybe I needed a specific modem and maybe the one(s) I had where not terribly compatible. But this modem is doing the same thing.

I was wondering if maybe the line coming in is giving an intemitant (sp) signal and my modem is losing it every once in a while. But if that was the case then why would disconnecting the cable line and reconnecting it resolve the problem (which it does).

I need to put another call in to the cable company and get someone out. I'll keep everybody informed.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Feb-2008, 11:20 PM #8
I have noticed this problem more and more lately caused by integrated ethernet cards and replaced them with better quality Intel nic cards either pci or pci-x and the issue went away.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!