Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HDMI and audio optical switch

(!)

madd74 madd74 is offline madd74 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 285 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2008, 09:26 PM #1
HDMI and audio optical switch
I am curious, with the way HDMI would route through a switch, like a 4 port or what have you, that also has an output for audio optical, is there any way for the HDMI to convert and ride to the output of the audio optical, or is it too far apples and bees?

I ask, because I would love an HDMI switch that takes my current three HDMI sources, outputs to one TV, and then to one amp (the TV via HDMI, obviously, and the amp the audio output). At this time, the best I could find was 4 HDMI and 4 audio to 1 and 1. I would like to skip the audio optical input, however, it does not appear such a beast exists... or... it is extremely rare.

If such a thing is out there, pointing to review of said items would be thankful.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,359 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 01:23 AM #2
Is this what you mean?

4 x 1 HDMI Switch with Optical Toslink Routing -V1.3 Full 1080P with Deep Color Support - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...rt_toslink.htm
Computer Specs
Member with 657 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jan-2008, 11:49 AM #3
For clarity I'm just curious if the problem relates to not having hdmi inputs on your amp.It can be a maddening situation.I know with my setup as soon as I run the hdmi cable from a device to the tv and have the sound pass thru the tv(tv speakers off) and output the sound to my amp I loose 5.1...(very confusing)I have to use optical or coax to carry the sound directly to the amp or I loose the 5.1. My digitial box (explorer hdpvr 8300) connected via hdmi to the tv has a separate optical cable directly to the amp and in the options for the hdpvr it lets me select optical as sound output.My only other device hooked up via hdmi xbox360 also runs an optical cable.In the tv options it also lets me choose a input device for sound...Very confusing and it took awhile to set up..I did run out of optical inputs on my amp and am now using a manual switch for the original xbox.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42790
Hope I did not confuse you bottom line it seems most tv's do not decode 5.1 sound as soon as the sound signal passes thru the tv you loose 5.1
Computer Specs
Member with 285 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 10:27 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Is this what you mean?

4 x 1 HDMI Switch with Optical Toslink Routing -V1.3 Full 1080P with Deep Color Support - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...rt_toslink.htm
I actually ran across that... what makes me think it is not exactly (but second close to what I am looking for) is "Optical Digital Audio Inputs 4". The thing is, it may turn out that it is not possible. I am not sure if an HDMI audio signal can be "redirected" to an optical audio. If that is the case, then this item (along with a few others I ran across) would be an option.

With what I hope is possible, and out there, would allow me to skip buying cable for two other devices, as I only have one optical cable (and frankly, I have enough wires back there already).
Computer Specs
Member with 285 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 10:31 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by accat13 View Post
For clarity I'm just curious if the problem relates to not having hdmi inputs on your amp.It can be a maddening situation.I know with my setup as soon as I run the hdmi cable from a device to the tv and have the sound pass thru the tv(tv speakers off) and output the sound to my amp I loose 5.1...(very confusing)I have to use optical or coax to carry the sound directly to the amp or I loose the 5.1. My digitial box (explorer hdpvr 8300) connected via hdmi to the tv has a separate optical cable directly to the amp and in the options for the hdpvr it lets me select optical as sound output.My only other device hooked up via hdmi xbox360 also runs an optical cable.In the tv options it also lets me choose a input device for sound...Very confusing and it took awhile to set up..I did run out of optical inputs on my amp and am now using a manual switch for the original xbox.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42790
Hope I did not confuse you bottom line it seems most tv's do not decode 5.1 sound as soon as the sound signal passes thru the tv you loose 5.1
Correct, I do not have HDMI inputs on the amp, otherwise my choice would be extremely easy I have coaxial, XM, composite, componant, s-video, rca... pretty much everything minus the HDMI.

Now in your case, your TV is doing something mine cannot, and this might be set up by Sharp due to the fact a convertor for the TV would be required (taking in RCA or HDMI and converting it for proper 5.1 output to optical). This would give me hope that such a beast can exist for a switch for HDMI.

Thank you both for the replies!
dannyn has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,689 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jan-2008, 10:53 PM #6
no.. i dont think that you can. convert hdmi audio to optical.. i think it has to be hdmi audio or optical audio... so you would have to do with that switch that knucklehead posted
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!