Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to test a lan card

(!)

Member with 218 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 01:59 PM #1
how to test a lan card
I purchased a PCI lan card, and after installing and giving an IP address , when I ping it says
'destination host unreachable'.

Is it possible to ping the lan card without connecting the pc to a lan?

please tell me how test it, is there any diagnostin programs to test a lan card?
Member with 22,468 posts.

11-Feb-2008, 02:31 PM #2
For starters, are you getting valid IP address information?
What are you trying to ping?
Generally, the first thing to try is pinging another device on your local network. One easy thing would be to ping the router's IP address (if you have one). Or another computer.

Once that is working you can then try pinging computers on the Internet.
Member with 218 posts.

12-Feb-2008, 02:22 AM #3
Dear Bob sir

you wrote "are you getting valid IP address information?", sorry I could not get u?

The card is installed in my home computer and it is not connected to any LAN. I am trying to connect to net using a broadband connection, (the ADSL modem given by the ISP), but it is not gettting connected to net.

IP of lan card is 192.168.1.9and the ADSL modem is 192.168.1.1, by using the following commands I tried to ping both but to no avail

ping 192.168.1.9 and ping 19.168.1.1. The message displayed is destination host is unreachable? what could be the problem.

Is there a way to test the LAN card without connecting it to any network.

12-Feb-2008, 10:10 AM #4
It looks like you are getting IP information. But since you can't ping the router, it could be the network card or corrupted TCP/IP. That is what the ping test was for.

One easy test would be to simply replace the network card with a known working one. If this works, then the original network card didn't. If both don't work, then it is a more likely a problem with on computer or cabling.

Last edited by Bob Cerelli; 12-Feb-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2008, 02:02 PM #5
Test the network card: ping 127.0.0.1. If this test works, it isn't your TCP/IP stack or the inner workings of the network card. (You don't need the card plugged in to run this test.)

At a command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes). DHCP and Autoconfiguration Enabled should both be "Yes." If your network card isn't plugged in (or if your cable is bad), you IP address will start with 169.254.... Otherwise, you will have a valid address. (If you do, your network card is working fine.)

By the way, if you are giving your PC an IP address and you were not specifically told to do so by your ISP, you will not get on the Internet (and they can charge you for interfering with their service). If you have cable, everything should be set to automatic. If you have DSL, follow your ISPs instructions.

Courtney

12-Feb-2008, 05:52 PM #6
If you don't need the card plugged in, how is this testing the inner workings of it?
Moderator with 63,518 posts.

12-Feb-2008, 06:22 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli View Post
If you don't need the card plugged in, how is this testing the inner workings of it?
technically, it's just a loopback address, not a 'real' ip, so the nic isn't necessary to test the functionality of the tcp stack. Basically just checking the settings that are configured FOR the card to use; if those are good, and you still can't get out, then ping the gateway, then start looking at ipconfig /all report and seeing what you are missing.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Feb-2008, 06:36 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.ramesh View Post
I purchased a PCI lan card, and after installing and giving an IP address , when I ping it says
'destination host unreachable'.

Is it possible to ping the lan card without connecting the pc to a lan?

please tell me how test it, is there any diagnostin programs to test a lan card?
the best test is if it works.

was it id'd as new hardware correctly? any exclamation point in device manager under network adapter or other devices?

12-Feb-2008, 06:50 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
technically, it's just a loopback address, not a 'real' ip, so the nic isn't necessary to test the functionality of the tcp stack. Basically just checking the settings that are configured FOR the card to use; if those are good, and you still can't get out, then ping the gateway, then start looking at ipconfig /all report and seeing what you are missing.
But you need to read the entire line to have an understanding of the question. Leaving something out like that misses important information.

"Test the network card: ping 127.0.0.1. If this test works, it isn't your TCP/IP stack or the inner workings of the network card. (You don't need the card plugged in to run this test.)"

That's why I asked, if you don't need the card plugged in, how will this test the network card.

Last edited by Bob Cerelli; 12-Feb-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Moderator with 63,518 posts.

12-Feb-2008, 10:08 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli View Post
But you need to read the entire line to have an understanding of the question. Leaving something out like that misses important information.

"Test the network card: ping 127.0.0.1. If this test works, it isn't your TCP/IP stack or the inner workings of the network card. (You don't need the card plugged in to run this test.)"

That's why I asked, if you don't need the card plugged in, how will this test the network card.
gotcha. See what you mean, now.

12-Feb-2008, 10:13 PM #11
g.ramesh.

A quick test you might try is booting to safe mode with networking support. Then see if you can ping your router's IP address.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!