Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC wouldn't boot up, then did, now won't again

(!)

JamieNJ JamieNJ is offline JamieNJ has a Profile Picture
Member with 161 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 07:38 PM #1
PC wouldn't boot up, then did, now won't again
One of my kids reported that upon turning on the PC, it was making strange noises, and nothing was happening on the monitor. When I tried it, same thing. I took off the back, was embarrassed at all the dust (and cobwebs!) back there. I unplugged it, cleaned it out, plugged it in, turned it on, and lo and behold it booted up. Everything fine, I checked email, etc. Then I unplugged it, put the back (actually side) back on, which was not easy, and turned it on again, and same original problem. It continues to happen with back off and back on now.

It makes a series of short buzzing noises, and two numbers light up on the front panel (3 and 4). I am trying to dig up my manuals to see if they tell me anything. I'm not sure how to start diagnosing this problem. Plus, my euphoria dive after realizing my easy fix did not work doesn't help!!
jazz3000 has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 09:50 PM #2
Well you can start by the specifics of your system. Is it an OEM or home built? If it's an OEM, what type? How old is the machine? (Though I'm leaning towards the possibility it's the PSU), it might be something entirely different. So let us know your specs and we'll see if we can help...Jazz
Member with 161 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 10:08 PM #3
It's a Dell, Windows XP. It's about two years old. I can't find any of my stuff which came with the purchase, but it has the Dell Service Tag on it which has March 2006 built date.

11-Mar-2008, 10:17 PM #4
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...ostics&cat=all Head over hear and read and see if it helps with where you start. Jazz
Member with 161 posts.

11-Mar-2008, 10:43 PM #5
OK, thanks. I will try some of this tomorrow. I can't stay up much longer. In the meantime, I found my system specs on the Dell website via my service tag. I don't see the power supply in there, but maybe I'm missing it. Anyway, I'll try the diagnostics in the AM.

System Summary
Service Tag: 4YG8P91
System Type: Dimension 5150/E510
Ship Date: 3/18/2006
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
0 149DF INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2
0 4X388 INSTRUCTION..., PREP-MTL, DEVIATION..., DIMENSION..., INCREASE..., NUMBER...
1 W9441 PROCESSOR..., 80551, PENTIUM D SMITHFIELD FOR DESKTOPS..., 820, SKT-T, MALE...
1 J4628 KEYBOARD..., 104, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., UNITED STATES..., ENTRY..., LEAD FREE..., LITEON...
1 C8639 KIT..., MOUSE..., UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., 2BTN, OPTICAL..., LEAD FREE..., LOG
2 F6761 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 512, 533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 JF495 MODEM..., V.92, DATA FAX..., INTERNAL..., SON2, LEAD FREE..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 M9753 ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 16X, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS) ..., PHILIPS..., CHASSIS 2005...
1 Y8365 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., GRAPHICS..., X300, SERVER ENHANCED..., MRMGA9A
1 CC639 DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 17, DUAL VOLTAGE..., E176FPF, MIDNIGHT GRAY..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 8D048 HARD DRIVE..., 80GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MB, LEAD FREE..., HIT-PD
1 F8113 ASSEMBLY..., FLOPPY DRIVE..., 1.44MEGB, NEC CORPORATION..., CHASSIS 2005..., ULD
1 W5824 ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER...
1 T1613 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., OFCBSC-2K3, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR...., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...

11-Mar-2008, 11:27 PM #6
Keep in touch...Jazz
Member with 161 posts.

12-Mar-2008, 01:01 PM #7
I tried some things, but not much progress. First off, when I press the On button, seven buzzes sound, each lasting about three seconds. Then the buzzes stop, but the monitor displays nothing.

I tried clicking on the F12 key repeatedly right when I turn it on, but it seems to have no effect.

I then downloaded a file from the Dell website (CZ128400.exe) which I think is think is the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics, to a USB key I had. I did this, and inserted the USB key into a USB port on the non-working PC. I pressed the On button. The key lights up, but the buzzes sound as before, and nothing is different.

Incidentally, the fan on the power supply spins when I turn on the machine.

Is there anything else on the Dell webpage that might help? Let me know. Thanks for your help.

12-Mar-2008, 01:47 PM #8
Are you running off a strip you might have the PSU plugged into? Surge Protector? If so plug the system directly into the wall plug. I've had bad strips cause problems when their faulty and the wall unit and failing or bad strip disagree.
The Power Unit may be dying as well. Let me know...Jazz
Member with 161 posts.

12-Mar-2008, 01:55 PM #9
I did have it plugged into a surge protector. I just plugged the PSU directly into the wall socket, but no luck; just the buzzing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!