Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Are there Signs for a Dying wireless network card?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Mar-2008, 03:34 PM #1
Are there Signs for a Dying wireless network card?
Hi, the thread question is self explanatory. I was just wondering if there are any signs of a dying wireless network card, Mine is over 1 year and some months now. I'm unsure if I should replace it or not.
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Mar-2008, 03:50 PM #2
Is it working? Why do you ask?

I'd say if it is configured correctly and it doesn't work....IT's DEAD! :-)
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 03:54 PM #3
Well, it has been working rock steady fine the past 1.4 years I've had it. Ever since last night, the card keeps disconnecting, then re-connecting at random times frequently. I clicked on My Computer, and viewed the connection of both my Router and Card. The Router stood connected at all times, While the Card would randomly go Disconnected.

Like mentioned, My D-Link Wireless Network card keeps switching to Disconnected/Shut Down, then it boots itself up again, says " Good Signal " for a few mins, then the signal eventually goes to " Low ", then " Very Low ", then the card Disconnects and shuts down again. Then the process is repeated.

Is this a dying card I have?
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 09:34 PM #4
I would try a different card. Thing is....it could also be a problem with the routers signal transmission.

How far are you from the Router? Is it a good distance?? Did you move your PC lately to another location?
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 08:01 PM #5
We just replaced our old wireless phone ( which Never interfered with my wireless connection ) about 2 days before this started happening. Apparently the new wireless phone is causing the signal to get really messed up. Everytime the phone comes within 10 feet of my room, I lose connection until the phone is further away.

The main question is, What would cause the new phone to react with my wireless internet ? , but the old wireless phone never did at all.
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 08:08 PM #6
Wow....must be using a similar frequency. What router do you have?
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 11:14 PM #7
Buffalo MIMO HS 128mpbs.

Is there anything i can do regarding the phones frequency, how would I check the listing of it.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 02:27 AM #8
Hard to change the phone frequency without getting a different phone with a non-interferring frequency, but changing the router's wireless frequency channel to either 1 or 11 if its at 6 right now might help.
cuttlefish cuttlefish is offline cuttlefish has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 748 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 02:33 AM #9
Have a look the PWR or ACT light or whetaver on the back of the card (if it has one) and watch it for a while (a day or two is fine) and if it keeps going ON/Off then you may have a card problem of the Motherboard slot is playing up!
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 01:17 PM #10
It's for sure the phone, Every single time someone presses the Talk button and turns it on, My internet signal is gone, until the second they hang up the phone. After that, the signal reads " Very Good ", which is expected until the phone is on again.

I have my frequency channel on Automatic, and is currently on Channel 1, I changed it to Channel 9. Right when I grabbed the phone to test interference, someone called, good timing. So I brought it to my room, and started talking on it. The connection Stood GREAT. Thanks guys for helping out this problem. Appreciated.

Last edited by anonymousx; 21-Mar-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 11:07 PM #11
It actually worked!? OMG!...just kidding. When the interferrence is that strong and total though sometimes its impossible to get far enough away from the conflicting frequency. Glad to hear (a pun!) it worked.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!