Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Won't Recognize New Hard Drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Mar-2008, 03:33 AM
Laptop Won't Recognize New Hard Drive
I'm trying to troubleshoot my friend's laptop. It's an HP NX6310. She just bought a new hard drive for it because it said there was no hard disk detected during Windows XP Setup. After installing the new Hard Drive it is telling me the same thing. "No Hard Disk was detected, setup unable to continue. I'm not sure what to make of it as the Hard Drive is obviously connected. What can I do? I know PC's inside and out but this is my first laptop attempt and was just wondering if there's any quircks I need to know about or watch out for? Thanks, any help or advice is appretiated!
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: I am getting the hang of
20-Mar-2008, 05:09 AM
Did you buy a new os? Are you using restore disks? If you are using restore disks it looks for the hard drive for that type/brand. HP is good for that. I needed a new hard drive for my HP desk top. I thought what the hell I'll get a nice one. When I went to install os with the restore disks from Hp that they sent me. It did the same thing yours is. I called HP and the hard drive has codes in it and so dose the restore disks. It will not work on any other hard drive. Hp wants you to buy the hard drive from them. I said no and just got a new copy of XP(sp2) Home for $90.00. Installed fine and I am using it right now.

Good luck!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,233 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know Better
20-Mar-2008, 05:45 AM
Is the drive a Sata?
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2008, 09:15 PM
I believe it is SATA and the original HP Hard Disk was doing the same thing. Is there something I could try with BIOS perhaps?
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: I am getting the hang of
20-Mar-2008, 10:53 PM
Go to bios look and see what the hard disk is set as(master,slave,ect). Also on the hard drive in the back dose it have a jumper? I got a new hard drive and it was set to "auto" you may try moving it to the master slot.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 12:35 AM
It's hard to say what happened to the first drive-perhaps it was damaged, or failed in some way? It's possible there is some other hardware failure that will prevent the new drive from being recognized.
This is a SATA drive, and you need to load the drivers before it will be recognized.
HPs have a recovery partition for re-loading the OS, but this is no longer available to you, as it was on the old drive. It might be worth your while to try to image the old drive, if it is still good.
The manual suggests you make recovery disks for just this purpose, and if you didn't make them, you'll need to get a disk from HP, or a copy of XP.
SATA drives do not have jumpers, so don't worry about that.
Computer Specs

21-Mar-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, there's definatly no jumpers on it. I've tried installing XP on it several times now and it just tells me that setup didn't find any hard drives. But it's strange because BIOS sees the drive and if I boot it, it just has a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner of the screen.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Mar-2008, 01:29 AM
Check the web site for SATA drivers to load at the F6 prompt during setup.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,233 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know Better
22-Mar-2008, 03:29 AM
o0madseason0o, You will need to slipstream your XP CD. I use nLite DOWNLOAD HERE and Check the manufacturer web site for the drivers or Intel HERE Save nLite to your desktop and open and run from the desktop. Follow the prompts when you open and run nLite to add drivers and create a bootable slipstreamed CD.
Screenshots

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑