Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DVD-ROM and CD-RW not detecting discs

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Mar-2008, 02:56 AM #1
Solved: DVD-ROM and CD-RW not detecting discs
Hello, I've been having problems for a while now with my DVD-ROM not detecting discs and not running the Autoplay functions on any discs when it did detect them, and when I 'fixed' a few registry entries that were disabling AutoPlay, now neither drive will detect any discs inserted in them.

I do not know what brand the drives are, as neither of them display a manufacturer's logo on their front and I do not have the tools on hand to remove them. My computer is running Windows XP Home SP2. I have already checked in the device manager and both drives are enabled and it claims they are functioning normally. I've been working with computers now for about 10 years and have never had a problem like this, I am stumped and suspect that my registry may be the problem.

When I insert a disc into the DVD-ROM, it flashes it's LED at me saying it's trying to read the disc and just keeps flashing steadily, even after it stops spinning the disc. I also have to press the eject button several times to get it to spit the disc out, or even to open when there is no disc inside for me to put one in.

If more information is needed, I will be checking this thread again in a few hours once I get some sleep, maybe that'll help me figure out what is wrong. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
25-Mar-2008, 07:11 AM #2
Sam: Look here: http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php under File, (Restore Missing CD Drive) for CDgone. It may help.
bhahar84 bhahar84 is offline bhahar84 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Mysterious Creatures
25-Mar-2008, 01:52 PM #3
Try delete the lower filter and upper filter according to this article here:

Microsoft KB 314060
Computer Specs

25-Mar-2008, 05:27 PM #4
The devices are being detected by my Device Manager, though I'll check out CDGone just in case... I am also not getting any error message, but if I go to select the D:/ drive (my DVD drive) or E:/ (my CD-RW) without a disc in them, it used to load the disc properly when I did this before inserting a disc and then closed the drive with a disc in it. Now if I do this, the small window saying "Please insert a disc into drive D:/." will just hang. I'll insert a disc and the light on the drive will blink... and blink... and blink... but it refuses to detect the disc. I know the discs I'm testing this work because I can load them on my mate's laptop just fine. The reason I test it this way is because it was the only way that the drives would detect discs in the past if I didn't boot the computer with them in the drive. I've tried that as well now and even that doesn't work, though the drive will continue to blink until I remove the disc.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
25-Mar-2008, 05:43 PM #5
Try removing the devices from Device Manager and rebooting so they will be re-installed, too.
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2008, 04:01 PM #6
After uninstalling the two drives from the Device Manager and rebooting the computer, both drives are now working again. I have not tested if my CD-RW will burn again now, but I suspect I'll find that working as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!