Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pixma mp180 Scanner wont work.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2008, 05:33 PM #1
Question Pixma mp180 Scanner wont work.
I have a problem with the Canon Pixma MP180 that I bought several months ago. It keeps telling me that there is no scanner and giving me the Code: 2,155,0. [/COLOR]

I have installed and re-installed, from the CD and then from the Canon site. All to no avail.

I bought a new USB cable and changed the port on the puter. Still no change.

My desktop computer is a 2.4 ghertz Intel Pentium 4 running XP Prof SP2.

I have no other probs with this puter.

I have tried the printer with the new USB cable on 3 other locations, and it worked beautifully.

So. . . .what next?? Iím close to giving up. And yet, I need that scanner!!

Any bright ideas out there pls??
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,017 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 05:39 PM #2
Have you tried the scanner in another system to verify it does in fact work?

Since it is only a few months old, I would just return under warranty it for a refund.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2008, 05:45 PM #3
Hi there, thanks for your reply. I cannot claim warranty on it cause the shop installed it on their puter with my CD and with my cable and it worked. It also worked on other [friends'] computers.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2008, 06:08 PM #4
Check device mgr to see if there are any yellow marks. Have you tried any other usb type devices on your system?
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2008, 07:42 PM #5
Not one yellow mark anywhere on the Device Mgr and yes, I do have several pieces of equipment that I operate via this usb and I have had no probs at all. Truly mystefied.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2008, 09:15 PM #6
Have you tried it without the hub ie plugging directly into the usb port on the front/rear of the system?
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2008, 09:39 PM #7
No, but I will try it as soon as I get rid of all the dust and paint on me at present!!LOL!!

Tkx
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2008, 02:58 AM #8
Since I signed off, I have gone to the local puter shop and asked for a shorter usb cable. They had nothing under 3 metres. They checked my cable in a testing gizmo they have and assured me that there is nothing wrong with my cable.

I have also uninstalled all Canon components, cleaned the registry, rebooted, re-installed off the Canon CD, rebooted and then held my breath as i tested the scanner.

You won't believe this. Code 2, 155, 0.

I gave away a Lexmark that wa still under warranty to replace it with this Canon specifically for ease of scanning. How frustrating is that huh?!

If anybody has any ideas, I will gladly try them out, otherwise I shall have to accept that I will not have a scanner for a loooong time!!

Tkx
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2008, 07:10 AM #9
Did it ever work on this system?
Computer Specs

29-Mar-2008, 03:10 AM #10
The printer works fine, I can make copies by using the buttons on the printer,
but the scanner has NEVER worked. Someone on another site mentioned a
shielded cable. What is that pls?

And why did it work elsewhere with the same cable
I am using here then?
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2008, 12:20 AM #11
Looks like U2 have given up on this problem, huh!! Dont blame you. I had hoped. . . . but tkx anyway.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 01:59 AM #12
Hi there, I have the exact same trouble with my Canon MX300 printer/ scanner/fax/copier. Everything works but the scanner, my Notebook is a pentium4 with winXP, has 4x USB 2 ports and I tried 4 different cable. It still want work and the same 2,155.0 fault report appairs. My daughter connected her Acer notebook running on Vista pro and it works, with any of the for usb printer cable. I still think this is a Canon Software fault and in future I will stay away from Canon. I don't know how to help myself any longer with this troublesome MX300 Canon printer.
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2008, 03:22 AM #13
Hi Heinrich, If you have read my posts you will know that I had my cable tested by a shop and all the other shops told me the cable I was using is fine.

But I bought myself a Belkin Hi Speed USB2 cable from the net, and voila' all was well. The scanner works beautifully.

One Canon techie rang and assured me it is a software problem and that he could dictate some settings that would get it to work, but I never got round to that.

I have used many printers in my time, but now I'm stuck on Canon. The $10 cable solved my problem.

My apologies for not writing about this before, but I hope you will find the info useful.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

25-Aug-2008, 04:20 AM #14
Hi Beam, thanks for the info but I also purchased the same High speed Belkin USB2 cable and tried it. It just want work. Can you send me the info you have for any software settings. I think that there is a conflict and this causes the problem.
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2008, 06:55 AM #15
Hi Heinrich, I am very sorry, but I never called back to get these settings. I started off by sending an email via the Canon website, and they called me back, but I was not home at the time so could not make the changes then. I believe their support number is 131314. Pls note that I'm giving you the number from memory. If it is not right, then you'll get it from the site. I'd try it if I were you.

Sorry to hear that even a good cable has not solved your problem.
Good Luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!