Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cant Reinstall OS on a Gateway Laptop

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

31-Mar-2008, 09:33 PM #1
Cant Reinstall OS on a Gateway Laptop
My dad recently got a Gateway Laptop and within 2 days he got a virus. it infected system files so i thought i would just install windows xp pro on it. it had come with vista home basic and it had TONS of crapware on it. i didn't want to reinstall that back on it because all it did was slow it down. When i tried installing XP i wasn't able to. Under the install menu there were no partitions and the only thing showing up in partitions was Unknown device. i couldn't delete the partition, create one, or install on it. I'm not sure what to do. right now i think the easiest way would be to get a cord to hook the laptop hard drive up to my computer so i can fully reformat it. is there another way? and was it made like this by gateway so people cant install another OS onto them?
Senior Member with 752 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Mar-2008, 10:11 PM #2
Your best bet is going to be to use the restore cd's and put Windows Vista back on it. Uninstall all of the crapware after you do. The reason that you cannot install Windows is because of the SATA hard drive, Windows XP does not have drivers for it they need to be installed by pressing F6 during Windows setup and inserting a disk with the SATA controller drivers on it then installing Windows. Aside from that it may be very difficult to find all of the drivers for your other hardware unless Gateway supports Windows XP on this laptop.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 04:49 PM #3
so would i be able to install windows vista ultimate on it, and then just find the drivers for the hardware?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,673 posts.

01-Apr-2008, 05:06 PM #4
You will not need to find drivers for vista. It should have native drivers for just about any sata controller.

Always check to see if you have xp drivers for your laptop prior to attempting an install. If there are no xp drivers, you are wasting your time.

FWIW, just put vista back on the system.
Senior Member with 752 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Apr-2008, 06:02 PM #5
You won't need to find the drivers with your Gateway Restore Disks, they already have the drivers for all of the hardware that was originally installed on the computer.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!