Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ideal Computer hardware specs for Graphic Design

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2008, 09:50 AM #1
Ideal Computer hardware specs for Graphic Design
I'm starting a streetwear clothing company and need to invest in a computer for designers that I hire - most of the stuff that will need to be designed are stuff that can be done in Adobe CS3/Illustrator - in particular T-shirt designs

I have absolutely no idea what is considered to be "adequate" for graphic design - I am willing to spend a little bit more to get my designer a better than average computer for design use - just not something state of the art and over the top

In terms of graphics card, RAM and processing power, what should I be aiming for? Anything else important I'm overlooking?

If there are any graphic designers out there, I'd be interested to hear what you guys consider as vital hardware specs for yourselves when you do design work - Again, I'm not going to skimp on things, but at the same time, I can't afford the best

Also, if it's not too much, I'd also like to ask what type of scanners and color printers I should be looking to buy for graphic design use - in particular, what brands have a good rep?

Thanks in advance to the kind sould that advises me!! Multiple opinions definitely welcome!!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

Experience: Wouldn't YOU like to know
01-Apr-2008, 10:11 AM #2
For what you're planning on doing, the three areas you're going to want to focus on are:

Processor
RAM
Hard Drive

for 2-D graphic design, a video card is the least-crucial component. If you get into 3D rendering and maybe gaming, then you need a high-end video card.

For working with large graphic files and images, you need lots of storage space for your files (big fast hard drive), a lot of RAM to have multiple files open simulaneously (at LEAST 2gb), and a fast dual- or quad-core processor to speed up your file conversions and photoshop work.

I'd suggest stuff like this:
Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034

Hard Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136205

These are just examples, of course, and depending on things like what motherboard you have, will vary depending on your exact system.

As for printers/scanners, I've always had good experiences with Canon products, and Epson work well too.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2008, 10:43 AM #3
Thank you for your comprehensive answer Jones - I'm off to read up on hardward you recommended

If anyone else has anything different to add, I'd be glad to take your advice on board as well

thanks!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!