Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Video Card & Monitor for Photography

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2008, 06:34 PM #1
Question Best Video Card & Monitor for Photography
Hi. I am in the market for a new computer. I need something that can do justice to my digital images. I am an avid photographer; although not professional. I have been doing research on monitors and video cards but dont really understand all the tech talk. I know I need a large (24" or better) monitor that is capable of displaying multi-millions of colors with excellent resolution. To go with it, I need a video card that can do the same. I don't do any gaming, so the video card does not need any qualities for gaming. I'm not sure if the qualities that make a video card good for gaming are the same qualities that I should be looking for for photography purposes. I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom to process my images. My images are all taken in the RAW format. I am currently using a Windows laptop, but am seriously considering buying a MAC. Any help/advice you can give one this topic is appreciated. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 329 posts.

Experience: approx 3 yottabyte of sto
12-Apr-2008, 07:15 PM #2
From what the advertising says, I'd say that the Nvidia 9600GT is the best option for you.

It has good image quality (depending on screen of course), good performance for the price, and it's cheap.

But I don't have any real experience of it.
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

12-Apr-2008, 07:46 PM #3
As far as that goes, I'm guessing you're not just into taking pictures and putting them on display. Like, I'm thinking you want to, say, edit them, too. For that, you'll want to have a more powerful vid card, like the one suggested.

On the Mac end of things, it seems a lot of buzz is in favor of Mac being what you would want.

Either way, you would want to consider both hardware and software. It's a LOT easier to sample the software, first. Find which one suits your needs best. And there are a LOT out there, but you also have the heavy hitters, too (PhotoShop and the like).

Your photos will look better on such a screen--especially a glossy one, but keep in mind, if you share them over the Internet or print them, you'll have to take into account, on the one hand, the recipient not having the same display capabilities, or on the other, the quality of printer and paper to which you print.

(One side note: You didn't throw that "considering a Mac" thing in there as a veiled threat to the PC fanboys to try and prod them into action, did you? )
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2008, 09:14 PM #4
Thanks for the reply. I am actually already using Photoshop and Lightroom. I will be editing and printing my pictures for my own pleasure, but I am a perfectionist. No, I was not threating about the MAC. I hear that MAC is the way to go for graphics but have always been a PC user. I have actually already looked into MAC options and pricing; they certainly are not as flexible as PC's and very, very costly. I was just looking for opinions on MAC vs. PC as far as graphics and photography go.
Computer Specs
Member with 773 posts.

13-Apr-2008, 01:19 AM #5
Whatever you do, DON'T get the Mac air. VERY bad product! Doesn't even have a built in CD-ROM. Can't upgrade memory. BIG no-no. It might be a machine that fits next gen ideas of computing (i.e. cloud computing), but it's way too far ahead of its time.

Oh...you probably already know this, but those softwares come in Mac flavor, too.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Apr-2008, 10:59 AM #6
I don't think for today the Mac is any better than the Pc but make sure you get at least a dual core cpu such as the Core 2 Duo and a minimum of 2 gb ram, then a 9600 would be fine and do at least 512 meg on the video card as well.
I am a retired Pro Photgrapher and that is what I use in addition to an Lcd monitor with digital and analog. The digital makes a huge difference and the monitors I have found to give the best graphics are Viewsonic and Dell believe it or not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!