Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fan will not stop in standby - no hibernation option

(!)

Member with 4,232 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Apr-2008, 07:08 AM #1
Fan will not stop in standby - no hibernation option
Hi all,

I have a machine I need to leave in standby for long periods of time, (i.e all night), but the case fan does not stop running.

It was connected to a hard driver molex, but I guess the hard drives do not stop in standby mode?, so that might answer that one.

It also does not stop when connected to the proper fan socket on the motherboard.
Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this problem?

OR!

Does anyone know how to make the machine have a hibernate option?
I have looked in the bois and it doesn't mention it.
The machine is running windows 2000 server.

Any help is much appreciated.
Matt
kev1952 kev1952 is offline kev1952 has a Profile Picture
Member with 351 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 08:03 AM #2
Not sure about hibernation on 2000. Standby is a different thing and the fans will continue to run even tho' the system is in a low power state. If the fans did stop then the system would overheat and die. Hibernation is different in that it dumps the contents of memory out to the hard disk and then powers the system down (reversing the dump when you power it back up).

EDIT: I looked a bit further and found this article in the MS Knowledge Base that explains all about hibernation in Windows 2000.
Member with 4,232 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 09:03 AM #3
Okay, thnaks a lot for this info.

I just don't have the hibernation tab in power options on this machine. - I guess this means Hibernatiomn is just a big fat no of a posibility?
Computer Specs
Member with 315 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2008, 11:01 AM #4
Not sure if its the same with XP, but there should be an option in the control panel under "power options" or "performance and maintenance" .......something like that. Open that up and there should be a box that you check to ebable hibernation. I'm actually having the same problem with xp, i just recently upgraded my cpu, ram, psu and now when i put it into standby the fans stay on. Before the upgrade the fans would turn off?? So I had to enable hibernation mode as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 11:13 AM #5
Most machines' fans do not run in standby mode. The only powered hardware is RAM. Look in BIOS and see if it mentions different types of sleep. like S1, S2, etc. Nothing runs visibly on any of my machines in standby. The down-side of standby is that data can be lost during a power failure, while hibernate requires no power.

You might also consider updating the BIOS in case the issue has been addressed.

Hibernation is a function of the OS and should be in power options if available. It often requires that all drivers be certified (as does standby).

How To Configure a Computer to Enter Hibernation in Windows 2000

Last edited by Elvandil; 17-Apr-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Member with 4,232 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 12:36 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Magee View Post
Not sure if its the same with XP, but there should be an option in the control panel under "power options" or "performance and maintenance" .......something like that. Open that up and there should be a box that you check to ebable hibernation. I'm actually having the same problem with xp, i just recently upgraded my cpu, ram, psu and now when i put it into standby the fans stay on. Before the upgrade the fans would turn off?? So I had to enable hibernation mode as well.
humm, Glad to hear its not just me with this problem!, I have never had it on any other of my machines. - Which confused me most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Most machines' fans do not run in standby mode. The only powered hardware is RAM. Look in BIOS and see if it mentions different types of sleep. like S1, S2, etc. Nothing runs visibly on any of my machines in standby. The down-side of standby is that data can be lost during a power failure, while hibernate requires no power.

You might also consider updating the BIOS in case the issue has been addressed.

Hibernation is a function of the OS and should be in power options if available. It often requires that all drivers be certified (as does standby).

How To Configure a Computer to Enter Hibernation in Windows 2000
Thanks both of you for the information on enabling hibernation, the only problem is that check box is not there. in-fact, power options is pretty empty,It contains very few options. I will go and look in the bios now, but that too, is very scarce, as it is quite old. And I and several others have tried to find an update for it - and failed. (Its American trends), but just don;t seam o be able to find ,much of a reference to it.

I'll post back with the results of looking in the bios again, thanks.
Computer Specs

17-Apr-2008, 12:42 PM #7
Computer Specs
Member with 315 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 12:54 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952 View Post
Not sure about hibernation on 2000. Standby is a different thing and the fans will continue to run even tho' the system is in a low power state. If the fans did stop then the system would overheat and die. Hibernation is different in that it dumps the contents of memory out to the hard disk and then powers the system down (reversing the dump when you power it back up).

EDIT: I looked a bit further and found this article in the MS Knowledge Base that explains all about hibernation in Windows 2000.
Its not going to overheat and die. Like I said in my previous post, all of my fans used to shut down when in standby mode. The cpu, gpu, etc... wont generate heat without electricity. So the fans shouldn't be on in stand by mode.

Another thing is to check your BIOS, as there could be some type of configuration for that there.
Member with 4,232 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 01:16 PM #9
Nop, no McAfee.

And thansk for that link, very useful. But unless I mis-understood, Is the whole drivers issue only relevant when neither standby or hibernate works? (Standby does work for me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Magee View Post
Its not going to overheat and die. Like I said in my previous post, all of my fans used to shut down when in standby mode. The cpu, gpu, etc... wont generate heat without electricity. So the fans shouldn't be on in stand by mode.

Another thing is to check your BIOS, as there could be some type of configuration for that there.
Yeah, thanks for clarifying that, I could not see how it would overheat and die when none of the other machines I have had experiance with have done so!

I have checked the bios now, and I thought I was onto a winner, as deep in the bottom of the bios, I found a setting for power seen this before) It was set to acpi, and API, I set it to just ACPI, but this doesn't seam to have made any different.

Any more ieas please? and thanks for the continued help everyone.
Computer Specs
Member with 315 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 01:16 PM #10
Okay I got it figured out. In the BIOS under the power option, I had to switch it from "S1&S3" to "S3" only. Now she goes into stand by mode like normal, no fans, just silence and a blinking case led! My problem arose with a recent upgrade, thus I had to flash my BIOS, and the new BIOS had the settings a little different. Hopefully this will work for you!
Member with 4,232 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 01:32 PM #11
ahhh well done!
Glad it all worked out for you.

I can only imagine this is the same problem with me too, but as I said, my bios has no other option! :'(

Encase anyone is feeling extra helpful, this is my bois details, maybe someone else might have better luck at finding an upgrade for it, But i think the problem is it is a cheapy = no updates.

AMIBIOS SIMPLE SETUP UTILITY - version 1.21.06
(C) 2000 American Megatrends Inc.

(And before you ask, the links in that image were'nt any help!)

I'll have another try searching in a bit, Gotta go out for a few now though
Computer Specs

17-Apr-2008, 02:38 PM #12
Look in Device Manager and click the name of your machine. Does it say that 2000 was installed as ACPI or does it say it is a standard machine?
Member with 4,232 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 06:44 PM #13
Well (im guessing this is good news)
It says Computer > Advanced Configiuration and power interface (ACPI) PC

So, where exactly does that lead me now lol? Back to the bios or what?
Computer Specs

17-Apr-2008, 08:11 PM #14
It means that power options should be available unless something else is a problem. And you're right and logical about the drivers--if standby works, hibernate should, too.

So, back to the BIOS. How old is it? Any updates?
Member with 4,232 posts.

18-Apr-2008, 06:03 AM #15
Yeah, Okay,
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!