Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to connect to wi-fi on old desktop?

(!)

Member with 72 posts.

19-Apr-2008, 03:36 PM #1
How to connect to wi-fi on old desktop?
Without going into a big explanation of why, etc, ...

I have an old HP Pavilion 9680C Desktop computer (Win 98). Is there any way I can set it up so that I can pick up local wi-fi with this computer?

What would I have to buy/add to the computer to achieve this?

I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers and this kind of stuff so please tailor your replies to a novice.

Thanks!

BTW, I know it's not smart to surf the web with Win 98 and this is an old computer but again, without going into a big explanation, what would it take to achieve wi-fi access.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2008, 03:53 PM #2
We have an older laptop running 98SE. I use a hawkings amplified antennae (looks like a little satellite dish) with no problem...It does need to be pointed to a service tho. We use this same antennae with our desk top ( running XP pro) when we are in our Motorhome (about 6 months a year). Many of the rv parks have wifi available. Nice to be able to sit in the coach and do internet...
if you want more information, feel free to post again.
vicks
Member with 72 posts.

19-Apr-2008, 03:58 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicks View Post
We have an older laptop running 98SE. I use a hawkings amplified antennae (looks like a little satellite dish) with no problem...It does need to be pointed to a service tho. We use this same antennae with our desk top ( running XP pro) when we are in our Motorhome (about 6 months a year). Many of the rv parks have wifi available. Nice to be able to sit in the coach and do internet...
if you want more information, feel free to post again.
vicks
Hi Vicks

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I would like more info. As I've said, I am a novice. I thought the desktop would need some sort of wireless card or something. Or I thought maybe there was some kind of external device that performed that function.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
19-Apr-2008, 06:03 PM #4
You can install a PCI wireless card, but a USB adapter is a lot simpler.

There's a wide selection of them here, for example:
http://a-power.com/home-277

Make sure whatever you select has Win98 drivers (I believe USB support does require minimum Win98SE).
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Apr-2008, 07:25 PM #5
It is Hawking HWU8DD anatennae and hooks up thru the USB port. Here is a link to the site
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...=60&ProdID=280. I believe they retail for about $90.00. I bought mine thru ebay for about $55.00. You also can get a pci card to install on the back of your tower that has an antennae with it. This is similar to the ones you get to use the Verizon wifi with a desk top (also similar to the pcmcia card for laptops) that have a antennae thumb on them.
Good places to look for information on this type of thing is www.newegg.com. and many other sites if you google them. Also can check at the big box stores for information.
Vicks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Apr-2008, 09:13 PM #6
Whether or not you need any type of antenna depends not on the age of the computer but on the distance between the computer and wireless router or access point. I don't know why they've been recommended to you.

The computer needs a wireless network adapter of some type. If this is Windows 98 and not Windows 98SE, USB isn't likely to work. That would mean installing a wireless PCI network adapter. That involves opening the computer's case, and verifying that there is a free PCI slot. Then you'd physically install the card, put the case back together, and install the drivers for the card in Windows.
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
19-Apr-2008, 10:55 PM #7
Once NewEgg has them back in stock, this is a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166012

I bought a few last month and they work great . .
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Apr-2008, 11:41 PM #8
The Hawkings antennae is also an adapter and it works very well with both of our computers which are NOT wireless. I agree, the distance is also very important, however, this adapter has worked for us up to 2 blocks away when setting in our motorhome and the antennae is pointed to a wifi spot. (ie. restrauant, motel, rv lodge etc.)
vicks
Member with 72 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 12:38 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
You can install a PCI wireless card, but a USB adapter is a lot simpler.

There's a wide selection of them here, for example:
http://a-power.com/home-277

Make sure whatever you select has Win98 drivers (I believe USB support does require minimum Win98SE).

My desktop is WIN 98 SE.

This is probably a dumb question. Is there software included? I'm just wondering what happens when you plug the adapter into the USB port. How do you know what wi-fi connections are available in the area?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 06:12 AM #10
The driver install should also install the necessary software. It would be pointless otherwise.

20-Apr-2008, 11:00 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin72 View Post
How do you know what wi-fi connections are available in the area?
You would connect to your wireless network at your home that you set up. Do you have a wireless router or access point already set up?
Member with 72 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 03:13 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
You would connect to your wireless network at your home that you set up. Do you have a wireless router or access point already set up?

In my first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin72 View Post

I have an old HP Pavilion 9680C Desktop computer (Win 98). Is there any way I can set it up so that I can pick up local wi-fi with this computer?
I want it to connect to local wi-fi. I thought that is what I was getting advice to do. Hopefully, it works because I just bought a USB Adapter and I'm going to try and set it up tonight.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 03:22 PM #13
What DoubleHelix is getting at is, do you have YOUR OWN wireless access point set up, or are you using someone else's nearby signal? "Local wi-fi" doesn't really clarify that.

If you're planning to use someone else's signal, you may run into issues with encryption or other security measures.
Member with 72 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 06:49 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
What DoubleHelix is getting at is, do you have YOUR OWN wireless access point set up, or are you using someone else's nearby signal? "Local wi-fi" doesn't really clarify that.

If you're planning to use someone else's signal, you may run into issues with encryption or other security measures.

No, it's not my own wireless access point.

20-Apr-2008, 07:19 PM #15
Can you provide more information about the wireless network you plan to connect to?

Is this provided by your neighborhood? Community? City?
Have you talked to anyone about the signal strength available where you live?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!