Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Loud grinding/fan sound, not sure whats causing it

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Apr-2008, 06:17 AM #1
Solved: Loud grinding/fan sound
My comp is making a really loud fan spinning grinding noise. I used speedfan program to try to lower the fan speed, I notice the fan slowing down because the fan sound is changing. Except the lond grinding noise is still present, SO IT MAY NOT BE THE FAN but what else can cause a loud grinding noise? Is it the fan or something else? BTW I cant really tell where the sound is coming from, specifically.

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 22-Apr-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,756 posts.

Experience: IT Professional
22-Apr-2008, 06:28 AM #2
It's normally caused by dust getting into the fan bearings, the fan will need to be replaced. It might also be a cable caught in the fan. You can try disassembling the fan and re-lubricating it, but it's a lot of effort to go to and probably won't last. The most likely fan is the one on your graphics card (if you have one) or northbridge (if it has a fan on it, if your motherboard is Socket754/939/940/AM2 you won't have a northbridge), these tend to be small, high-speed fans with sleeve bearings that don't last very long. It could also be a case fan. Powersupply and CPU fans tend to last longer, I'm not sure what AMD ship with their current CPUs, but Intel tend to use Sanyo Denki or other high-quality fans that last for 10 years. To tell which fan it is, stick something soft like a plastic cable tie in the blades (be careful) or just hold your finger down on the middle of the fan to stop it from spinning, you could also unplug them one at a time.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2008, 07:12 AM #3
Check your hard drive and see if the noise is coming from the drive. A failed bearing in the drive will grind loudly.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 07:23 AM #4
Thamks for help.
Few more questions/info
Can the power supply make loud noises? It kind of sounds like it's coming from the power supply. I noticed I still hear the usual gental fan sound.
I also forgot to add:
1. My comp kind of was shakened a little when I opened the case cover(it was a little stuck) to install A DVD drive. After I turned on was when I heard the loud sound. BTW I was wearing anti static wrist strap.
2. I only have one fan(I think, does power supply have fan?), speedfan said fan is 3000ish(forgot exact #) RPM which is usually my normal fan speed
3. When I lowered the fan speed I noticed the fan slowing because the familiar fan sound was quieting, I've lowered the fan speed before and heard the same sound.
4. Comp turns on fine when I first turned it on today(thats how I checked comp with speedfan) but I dont want to risk turning on again.
So I don't think it's the fan on the motherboard.

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 22-Apr-2008 at 07:34 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,825 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
22-Apr-2008, 11:55 AM #5
There's a fan in the power supply, and it's very possible (and common) for those to fail. As long as it's running, you won't damage your machine, although it will be very annoying. As Arcadion said, put something plastic in through the fan vents on the back of the power supply to stop the fan from turning, to confirm if that's the source of the noise. If it is, you can either disassemble the PSU and replace the fan, or just replace the whole PSU.

Edit: or just live with the noise until the fan finally stops working.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

22-Apr-2008, 01:15 PM #6
Thanks everyone, so it's the power supply fan that's making the noise. I stopped it and no noise occured, once I realesed it, the fan spun and it started making that loud grinding noise.
Edit BTW when I click "Mark as Solved" and "Perform action" it doesn't mark it for some reason.

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 22-Apr-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

23-Apr-2008, 09:45 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
There's a fan in the power supply, and it's very possible (and common) for those to fail. As long as it's running, you won't damage your machine, although it will be very annoying.
So it would be safe to still use comp? No problems(Oversped Fan won't cause PSU to explode or fry other comp parts, etc?)

Just wondering because I'll need to use comp for a while(1-2 hours) and can't get replacement PSU till later.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,825 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
23-Apr-2008, 10:00 AM #8
No, it won't cause any damage. Actually, even the fan stopping completely won't likely cause any DAMAGE, in my experience... typically the machine will just heat up and become unstable, possibly crashing more often, but I've never seen actual damage result from it not running, except maybe to the power supply itself.

But yeah, as long as the fan IS running, you should be fine. Just wear earplugs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!