Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

after reboot, computer screen is blank/black, nothing comes up -- HELP!

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

13-May-2008, 08:50 PM #1
after reboot, computer screen is blank/black, nothing comes up -- HELP!
I am able to turn on my computer but the screen is just black and nothing comes up. I restarted my computer, turned it on and off, unplugged the power cord, but no luck. my monitor does detect the computer but the screen is just black (if i unplug the monitor cable, the monitor will notify me that nothing is detected)

this has happen to me on many occasions already, everytime i restart my computer, the screen goes black and nothing comes up. every time i want to restart my computer, i have to turn it off and turn it back on for it to work, but this time, after turning it on and off, the computer screen is black and nothing comes up. (When i press the restart button on my computer, the screen goes blank /black, so i have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn it off and then turn it back on) i dont know if it's graphics card or the motherboard. the computer just suddenly freezes and i had to restart it, so i turn the computer off and then on, and the screen comes out black. the computer is on but the screen is blank. the problem is not the monitor for sure because i used it with another computer and it worked fine.

if anyone is having similiar problems who knows what to do, please help! thank you.

my comp specs:
windows xp w/ sp2
BFG geforce 7950 gt 512 mb oc gddr3 graphics card
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP motherboard
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Ram

Last edited by newfoundshore; 13-May-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 941 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2008, 03:46 AM #2
Is your graphics card PCI-e or AGP and what power supply do you have?
Computer Specs
Member with 659 posts.

14-May-2008, 04:03 AM #3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=P5N32-SLI

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard

I found this on NewEgg and it doesnt show a AGP slot

I found this review of ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP Edition nForce 590
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/asus_p...m/page_3.shtml
it doesnt show a AGP card either

14-May-2008, 04:07 AM #4
it's PCI-e and i have a Ultra X-finity 500 Watt power supply
Computer Specs

14-May-2008, 04:18 AM #5
Do you have an on-board video too?

You should try updating the BIOS as this has happened a few times for some of my customers, BIOS updates are generally easy and many guides can be found online if you haven't done this before.

One thing you should do/try before doing this though, is starting your computer in Safe Mode and try warm booting it then and see if the issue still remains. If it does, this practically rules out any software issues (minus the above).

14-May-2008, 04:31 AM #6
the thing is i can't even access my bios or enter safe mode. when i turn on my computer, the first thing i see on the screen is black /blank. the light on my monitor blinks as if i were in standby mode. the fans on the computer all work as if the computer like it's functioning but i just dont get a screen.

i use to be able to hold the power button on the computer for a few seconds to have it shut off and then turn it back on it, and that works, but now ever time i reboot, it just shows a black screen.

i was thinking of resetting the bios manually on the motherboard. what do you think? there is nothing wrong with the monitor because i plugged another computer with it and it works fine. the graphics card seem to be communicating with the monitor as well because when i unplug the cable from the graphics card, the monitor displays a "signal not detected" notice.

thanks for all your comments

14-May-2008, 04:35 AM #7
on-board video? as in video card that comes with the motherboard? nope. dont think so.
Computer Specs

14-May-2008, 04:40 AM #8
Yep that's what i meant.

By the way, sorry for misunderstanding your post, didn't realise you cannot even boot now. You would be best reseating all of your hardware, if you have a warranty take the computer back, if not, carry on with the reseating. Disconnect your hard drive and ANY other hardware that is NOT the following; RAM, CPU, Graphics Card and Power Supply - try booting with just these connected.

It may well be a misconnected graphics card.

If this fails, attempt to reset the BIOS which can be done via a jumper on your motherboard (this is the case for most newish motherboards). If this still fails post back and let me know what happened with the above.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!