Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sony VAIO frozen due to card reader malfunction

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2008, 01:17 AM #1
Sony VAIO frozen due to card reader malfunction
My Sony VAIO TX770 (Win XP Pro w/ SP2) freezes from time to time, sometimes during boot up, sometimes after running for a while. Every time this happens, the indicator light for the card readers (memory stick and SD) turns on even though there is no card inside the slot. Sometimes I can unfreeze the system by pressing down the case in the area above the card reader slots. Therefore it appears that the problem is caused by sporadic malfunction of the card reader.

The source of the card reader malfunction is probably due to soda spilled into the slots, which occurred several months ago when I was on an airplane.

I would appreciate your advice what I can do to prevent the system freeze in the future. I have never used the card readers, therefore I will be happy to learn how to kill the card reader if that will solve the problem. (I have disabled the card readers in device manager; however, the problem still recurs.)

Thanks very much!
Computer Specs
Member with 659 posts.

17-May-2008, 01:34 AM #2
The source of the card reader malfunction is probably due to soda spilled into the slots, which occurred several months ago when I was on an airplane

I have to ask-- was this a Cola????

the syrup that Coke and Pepsi put in their drinks to make a Cola --instead of say
Sprite or Seven-Up-- is corrosive.

when I haul a load of syrup for Coke I have to put a Oxidizer (Haz-Mat) Placard
on my trailer.

so I would say you are down to a trip to a computer repair shop.
probably were ever the soda came in contact with the card reader elements
inside of the slots is corroded --

if the warranty is void and you feel adventurous you could try to remove the main
back panel on the laptop and see if the card slots are on-board integrated chip
or hooked up by wires to a motherboard header??

you will have to wait on a post from some one more into laptops than I am---
if wires and you cut them????
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

17-May-2008, 01:43 AM #3
Thanks, JamesSX121. I believe the soda was sprite, but I might be wrong.

I did remove the screws and tried to remove the back panel, but was unable to open the panel completely; something remains connected in the middle and I was hesitant to put too much pressure to force the panel to separate. If you or someone familiar with this model can advise what is the right way to remove the back panel, I would appreciate it very much.

It would be great if the card readers could be disconnected from the motherboard.

Last edited by Naihua; 17-May-2008 at 01:54 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
card reader, memory stick, sd card, sony vaio, system frozen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!