Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Low Disc Space- Running out of space on C drive

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-May-2008, 03:52 PM #1
Low Disc Space- Running out of space on C drive
I keep getting the message "Low disc Space" You are running out of disc space on local disc C. I have checked my "Add/remove, but do not want to remove any of the programs. My computer is running very slow. I don't really have a lot of programs installed and can't figure out why I am getting this message. I was running a ghost program and am wondering if this could be a problem. I also find that when I run my Norton anti-virus, I seem to have many more files than expected. Is their any way that I can resolve this problem or find out what is typing up a lot of space without looking at the add/remove programs. I am almost intermediate, but am a bit of a dumbhead when it comes to this, so please be gentle. thanks for your help. Running windows XP
Member with 83 posts.

19-May-2008, 10:02 PM #2
We'll do you have alot of files on your hard drive?...How bigs the HD, And how full is it?
Start > my computer > C drive > right click > properties.
Computer Specs
Member with 311 posts.

Experience: I know Stuff....
19-May-2008, 10:04 PM #3
how big is your hard drive...
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2008, 10:14 PM #4
Do you have another drive or another partition in the system?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

19-May-2008, 11:26 PM #5
Go to www.download.com - type in "space monger" (This may work http://www.download.com/SpaceMonger/...dlPid=10549663

This will graphiclly show you the entire hard drive.

You may have files in dead accounts, in tem directories "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp" - If IE is set up on default cache (ie: retarded) you may have 10-20GB of useless Ie cahce files.... use agent ransack to help locate these and delete everything you can. Like in here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Also c:\windows\temp

Get the free too from download.com : glary tilities
Junior Member with 3 posts.

21-May-2008, 11:07 AM #6
I have a 37 Gb hard drive. 35.3 Gb used and 1.93 free. I relly don't think I have used this much space (35.3)
I do not have another drive
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 23 posts.

21-May-2008, 11:53 AM #7
I'd recommend using CCleaner from ccleaner.com. It's a free program to clean up your hard drive and registry.

The closer you get to filling your hard drives space.. the slower the machine will run. You should ALWAYS try to have about 5-10 Gb free... 1.93 just won't cut it.

Try CCleaner.. it WILL free up space.

Best of Luck!
Josh
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

21-May-2008, 12:11 PM #8
Whatever you do if you use ccleaner, and I would advise against it, uncheck all the registry entries as I have seen that hose more than enough systems. If you are that packed in on the drive, ccleaner won't help for long anyway.
It's time for a new hard drive, they are so cheap these days. You could either install it as a second drive and reinstall programs to it while transferring big files over to it, or simply copy "drive to drive" to a new drive with software most drive makers include these days if you buy retail version.
Senior Member with 1,297 posts.

21-May-2008, 12:20 PM #9
turn off system restore , turn it back on and create a new restore point. That should give you some much needed space . go here http://agrilifeblogs.tamu.edu/mt/wte...tfcleaner.html and download ATF Cleaner . Good free program to clean all temp files cookies and others . hope this helps .
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!