Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: USB Device Malfunction

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-May-2008, 09:25 AM #1
Question Solved: USB Device Malfunction
I recently purchased a USB stick for school related matters. I managed to save my files to the USB stick from our home computer without any issues, worked on some of those files at school and when I tried to access them later at home I encountered a problem. I'm unable to read anything on the USB stick as my computer now doesn’t recognize the device .

It may be co-incidental but I'm also getting an error message when I try to print any document from the hard drive. I've tried different ports and neither the USB stick nor the printer works. I can print a test page direct from the printer itself.

When attempting to print an error message appears as follows:

'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it'. I've looked into the port location and it indicates that 'no drivers are installed for this device'. The device is enabled and I've performed the Toubleshoot without any success.

I have checked the cables and all connections appear OK.

I've looked through the Device Manager and checked the USB Controllers. For the 'unknown device' I proceeded through Properties into the Driver section which indicates 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'.

I have checked each USB Root Hub and noted that 'This device is working properly'. The same applies for each USB Open Host Controller - 'This device is working properly'
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-May-2008, 10:55 AM #2
If you have at least XP Service Pack 1 do this;

Disconnect any USB devices. Go into Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click on everything listed and uninstall.

After uninstalling all the drivers, when you restart Windows should reinstall all the drivers. Reconnect USB devices.

Last edited by win2kpro; 21-May-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2008, 08:49 AM #3
USB Device Malfunction
To Win2Kpro: Thanks for your assistance. All OK now.
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2008, 08:54 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Clout View Post
I recently purchased a USB stick for school related matters. I managed to save my files to the USB stick from our home computer without any issues, worked on some of those files at school and when I tried to access them later at home I encountered a problem. I'm unable to read anything on the USB stick as my computer now doesn’t recognize the device .

It may be co-incidental but I'm also getting an error message when I try to print any document from the hard drive. I've tried different ports and neither the USB stick nor the printer works. I can print a test page direct from the printer itself.

When attempting to print an error message appears as follows:

'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it'. I've looked into the port location and it indicates that 'no drivers are installed for this device'. The device is enabled and I've performed the Toubleshoot without any success.

I have checked the cables and all connections appear OK.

I've looked through the Device Manager and checked the USB Controllers. For the 'unknown device' I proceeded through Properties into the Driver section which indicates 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'.

I have checked each USB Root Hub and noted that 'This device is working properly'. The same applies for each USB Open Host Controller - 'This device is working properly'
Problem solved
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
printer driver, usb

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!