Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Harddrive or fan making a rapid clicking sound?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2008, 10:40 PM #1
Solved: Harddrive or fan making a rapid clicking sound?
I think my hard drive or fan may be making some really fast rapid clicking sound. It sound like it "clicks" around 7 times per second or so, really fast but it's not too loud. It happens occasionally. I know hard drives can make a "clicking" sound, where they click like once per second, but I hear a clicking sound that is soft and happens about 7 times per second.

Actually the sound doesn't really sound like the "clicking" sound failing hard drives make. It sounds like if you had a mini battery powered Fan. You took the fan, turned it on, and hit the tip of the fan with grass on the ground, it sounds kind of like that except it's a lot faster/rapid.

Whenever I lower the fan speed to about 80% or lower, the clicking sound is gone. So it might not be the hard drive, it might be the fan but I am not positive.

Also whenever the clicking sound is present, I can slightly(and I mean like barely move it at all) move my computer tower and then the sound will stop.

Anyway, the sound sounds like a rapid clicking sound that "clicks" like 7 times per second.

So the question is, is it the harddrive that may be making the sound or is it the fan?

I think it might be the fan but it kind of sounds like it's coming from the hard drive and I want to make sure in case anyone thinks it's the hard drive.

Also, I did the "S.M.A.R.T." check thing using Speedfan, and everything is ok. I also checked the hard drive using Scandisk and everything is also ok it seems.

Last edited by Newuser12345215; 09-Jun-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2008, 10:47 PM #2
Can you open it up and isolate where the noise is coming from while it is turned on?

Because it might be a loose cable or something
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,500 posts.

09-Jun-2008, 10:49 PM #3
The easiest and only way to know for 100% accuracy is too open up the case and track down the source of the sound. But from everything you said it sounds like a fan, it may just be a lose cable rubbing against one of the fans.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 09:24 PM #4
No loose cables/wires. I can't tell where the sound is coming from exactly, and I am listening from it within 1 inch away.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,824 posts.

Experience: Just beyond dangerous. :)
10-Jun-2008, 10:44 PM #5
Try using a pencil eraser end to stop each fan for a sec and see if the clicking stops.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,500 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 10:45 PM #6
I'd try using something like a straw. You can even try stopping the fans with it or with your finger by pressing the center of the fan to eliminate fans as the possible source.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

16-Jun-2008, 12:40 AM #7
Turning the Fan all the way off while I heard the clicking sound, I can still here the harddrive "clicking" but only little bit.

I also noticed that "*sometimes" a bit of vibration(from me accidentally hitting the table a little) can cause the sound to appear, but slightly moving the computer tower a little may cause the sound ti stop.

*Though sometimes the sound may happen randomly, even with no vibration.

So it seems to be the harddrive. Does windows XP have a built in backup tool that can back up "everything", the OS, the system files, user data, user installed stuff, etc to another hard drive?

Also my motherboard doesn't seen to have a "secure" place for a second hard drive so how would I backup the whole hard drive?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,729 posts.

16-Jun-2008, 01:21 AM #8
http://acronis.com/

That's a good tool for a full backup, use the trial unless you want to use it after 30 days. It makes an exact copy of your hard drive onto another, so exact you can use the copy and not notice a difference (on the same computer, won't work on a different computer than the original). The program is no longer needed for operation once the copy has been made.

Now you do need a second hard drive of equal or bigger capacity than the amount of data on your first hard drive. You say you don't have a ""secure"" place for a second one, what do you mean by that? If there's just not a drive bay for a second one, its ok to have it dangling out of the case temporarily whilst you do the copy.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

16-Jun-2008, 03:45 PM #9
Quote:
""secure"" place for a second one, what do you mean by that? If there's just not a drive bay for a second one, its ok to have it dangling out of the case temporarily whilst you do the copy.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I only have one "slot", in my case, for my Hard Drive that I can screw and secure in.

Also is there any program that lets you check what kind of motherboard you have, also any site that you can download the motherboard manual?

Seems like my motherboard only can connect to IDE hard drive, doesn't look like there is any SATA connection slot.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2008, 04:14 PM #10
CPU Wizard should give you all the system info you need. http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

The motherboard manufacturer's website should have the user manual and latest drivers available.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

20-Jun-2008, 01:04 PM #11
I can't find the manual for my motherboard. Can I just plug in a second HD onto the same IDE cable my main HD is plugged into and would the computer recognize it?
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2008, 01:24 PM #12
Usually, yes. You would then need to partition and format the 2nd HD so you can use it for storage.

Make sure the 2nd HD has it's jumper set to Cable Select and plug it into the middle connector of the IDE cable.

How large is the 2nd HD?
Do you have Windows Xp SP1 or higher installed?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,729 posts.

20-Jun-2008, 02:30 PM #13
No, make sure that the current suspected hard drive has it's rear jumper set to master, and the new drive has it's jumper set to slave. Plug in, boot up, should all work fine. May have to reboot once windows has found the hard drive... But other than that that's it.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

20-Jun-2008, 02:47 PM #14
I haven't bought the HD yet, the second HD is probably going to be 160 GB, my HD that I have now is 120 GB.

Actually another question, this hard drive should work with my computer right? Not sure if there is some hard drive incompatibility with certain motherboards or anything. My current hard drive is "SAMSUNG SP1203N" BTW. CPU wizard didn't say what exact motherboard, it was unknown Neo 8 variant or something like that(It's MSI motherboard btw).

Also I have Windows XP SP2 right now.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2008, 04:50 PM #15
You'll need to figure out which motherbaord you have so you know what type of HDD to order. (IDE or SATA)

Can you open the case and look on the actual motherboard? It should be printed on the board somewhere. (usually between the expansion slots near the video card)

Here's a list of MSI motherboards.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...s.asp?class=mb
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!