Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do I need to download AMD Phenom Chipset Drivers?

(!)

Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jun-2008, 12:21 PM #1
Do I need to download AMD Phenom Chipset Drivers?
System Specs:

Vista Home Premium 32 w/Service Pack 1
AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9600 @ 2.3 GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
Ultra 550 Watt Power Supply
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX (Overclocked by Evga)

If you need any other information, I think you can find it here: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668055.php

I recently reformatted from Vista 64 bit into Vista 32 bit, thinking it would solve some problems... but when I was installing the drivers from the Gateway site, I don't think I saw anything for the Processor. I'm pretty sure it needs drivers, or am I wrong? Where would I go about getting them if so?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,664 posts.

13-Jun-2008, 12:32 PM #2
AMD does release drivers for their cpus however chipset drivers are NOT cpu drivers. They are for the motherboard chipset.

I would install the chipset drivers for your board and check amd's site for any patches/ drivers they have for vista sp1.
Member with 60 posts.

13-Jun-2008, 12:40 PM #3
I went to the AMD site and couldn't figure out what driver to download... they all seemed to be for XP and Windows Server 2003.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._15259,00.html

This page says it's for the AMD processors, and I did try downloading the first link just to see... but it didn't install so I assume it wasn't meant for my computer.

On the Gateway site, it lists this download:

My Motherboard Downloads

D20368-001-001.exe - ATI Chipset/Video Driver - Vista 32-bit
Supports: Windows Vista (32-bit)

Is this the driver for the AMD Phenom? It says Video Driver, and that threw me off when I was initially getting drivers from their site.

Edit: Or is this what I need to download?

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_chipset.aspx

Last edited by CutieTaunie; 13-Jun-2008 at 01:02 PM..
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2008, 02:13 PM #4
First of all, you would download chipset drivers ONLY from the board maker or system maker's site. I really cannot tell you what chipset driver to install unless you post a link to either your motherboard or your system. Then we can tell you what chipset drivers to install [if any]

Note vista has native chipset driver support for a number of boards so you may not need to install any drivers.

Are there any yellow marks in device mgr?

Is the system running OK?
Member with 60 posts.

13-Jun-2008, 05:52 PM #5
I pasted a link to the computer specs on the Gateway site, but I'll copy and paste it:

Processor - AMD Phenom™ 9600 Processor (AMD LIVE!™) (2.30GHz, 2MB L3 Cache, 3600MHz System Bus)

Operating System - Genuine Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Home Premium (64-bit) SP1

Memory - 4096MB 667MHz PC5300 Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules)

Hard Drive - 640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II Hard Drive2 (2-320GB)2

Optical Drive - 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology3

Audio - 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio

Expansion - Slots Available: 1 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-E x1 & 1 - PCI

Integrated Network - 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Port)

Integrated Video - ATI Radeon® HD 3200 Integrated Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory

Memory - Capacity Expandable to 8GB

Modem - 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem

Motherboard - Systemboard with AMD® 780G Chipset

Power Supply - 300W Power Supply

I replaced the Power Supply to a 500W and upgraded the Video Card to an Nvidia 9800 GTX. I reformatted once and changed it from Vista 64 into Vista 32. It's getting blue screens while playing an online game (Age of Conan), but according to their forums many people are getting that issue with AMD processors, who knows why... not sure the game developers know why either. The system is running alright, aside from poor FPS in-game... but that may be due to there not being compatible drivers for the 9800 GTX yet. I dunno, I'm posting for my boyfriend... he's been getting what we think is poor performance for his system specs so I've been trying to do everything to improve it (5-15 FPS for what seems like a pretty nice system?)
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2008, 07:30 PM #6
In order to find your chipset drivers, you need to post the make and model ie gateway XXX123 or whatever.

Have you checked device mgr to see if there are any yellow marks?

One of my systems here is running a 6400+ with an amd/ati chipset asus board. No chipset drivers were necessary when installing vista. It really depends on what mb is installed. Pre-built systems often use msi or asus boards for amd systems. The board will have a gateway part # rather than an asus #
Member with 2,798 posts.

13-Jun-2008, 07:42 PM #7
Chipset
If you cannot find your motherboard info go to [google] majorgeeks.com & to system info, fram there scroll down to BELARC & click on that site .Download your info
Computer Specs
Member with 3,866 posts.

13-Jun-2008, 08:08 PM #8
heres the mobo specs http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...6272Rsp2.shtml
driver page, don't see chipset so must use vista driver http://support.gateway.com/support/d...param=1015332R
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!