Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: CPU Temp 68-72 Celsius Idling, Help!

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2008, 09:36 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: CPU Temp 68-72 Celsius Idling, Help!
I'm new here, I apologize if i am posting in the wrong section.

Computer was experiencing random crashes when running software/games so I decided to swap out some sticks of ram to see if that was the issue, and it was not, crashes still occurred. I booted up into BIOS and looked at the different temps, and my CPU temperature was at 70 give or take 2 degrees, when idling normally its between 35-40...

The fan on the heatsink is running fine, room temperature is about 25 in here and the side of the case is always open.

I'm a amateur when it comes to computers, I only know enough to put one together.

If anyone could give me some insight on what to do to troubleshoot further it would greatly be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

14-Jul-2008, 03:33 AM #2
Dust/dirt in the heatsink can turn up the heat, be sure to vacuum the heatsink, if you see any dust. Has the computer worked fine earlier? How long have you had the computer?

14-Jul-2008, 10:10 AM #3
There is a bit of dust, gonna clean that out today. It has worked fine for the majority of the time that I have had it which is just over a year now.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,983 posts.

Experience: Mac Addict
14-Jul-2008, 10:15 AM #4
Try putting the side of the case back on, computers are made to run with all the parts in place and if you take the side of the case off, you may disrupt the airflow in the box.

What kind of computer is it?

14-Jul-2008, 10:33 AM #5
It's built.

Cleaned everything, opened bios and the Temp started at 29, then worked its way back to around 45. Opened SpeedFan at desktop with nothing running and its staying around 41-42. Looks good so far, problem solved thanks for the help .

Just another quick question, I noticed that my system fan was running at more RPM then my CPU fan. Is that normal? System was at about 1800 RPM, and CPU was at about 1100 RPM. And also, is there a way I can raise the speed for the CPU fan?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

14-Jul-2008, 11:57 AM #6
There is a speed limit to every fan. It depends on the purpose, diameter and maker of the fan. If it is an aftermarket cooler, post the model, and if not, tell the model of the CPU. People might be able to find the fan's top RPM. I think that if you are maxed out regarding to speedfan, the you are maxed out. An aftermarket CPU cooler (like a Zalman) will decrease your CPU temp drastically.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!