Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB 2.0 won't work

(!)

Ted-d24 Ted-d24 is offline Ted-d24 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Jul-2008, 05:16 PM #1
Red face USB 2.0 won't work
Hi

I'm a little stumped. My pc has 8 USB 2.0 ports but no matter what USB 2 device I plug in I always get the same message of how this device can operate faster and how I can click on the balloon to remedy the problem. Once there my 8 USB 2 ports are listed but all the ports at the back of my machine react the same.

I've uninstalled all the usb ports and had windows redetect them and install them. I've restarted several times. I've checked the BIOS settings and those are set for USB 2.0 so now I really don't know what else to do.

Please help!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

21-Jul-2008, 05:21 PM #2
It's Windows. Sometimes it likes to say that your USB 2.0s aren't 2.0s. Maybe it even makes them act slower, like 1.0/1.1 ports, who knows. Hope someone knows how to fix that Good luck!
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2008, 05:42 PM #3
Smile Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG-0 View Post
It's Windows. Sometimes it likes to say that your USB 2.0s aren't 2.0s. Maybe it even makes them act slower, like 1.0/1.1 ports, who knows. Hope someone knows how to fix that Good luck!
Tx BG. It sure is slow like a USB 1.0 port so Window is putting up quite the convincing act... rather annoying to say the least. Tx for the reply
Computer Specs
Member with 265 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
22-Jul-2008, 01:55 AM #4
Make sure the USB stuff listed in Device Manager has the newest drivers (or any drivers).

One thing I thought of is that if you are using an external USB hub that is labeled USB 2.0, yet it is plugged into a USB 1.1/1.0 port on the PC, it will be reduced to the speed of USB 1.1/1.0, and this may explain why the USB devices seem "slow." But forgive me if you are past that.

Another thing to consider is that common USB 2.0 devices that transfer data, such as flash drives, memory card readers, or wi-fi adapters, even though they are 2.0 and have greater bandwidth (speed) than 1.1 or 1.0, even when they are plugged in to a USB 2.0 port, they rarely (if ever) use the whole bandwidth of the USB 2.0 specification, oftentimes I think much less, but significantly more than 1.1/1.0.
Computer Specs

24-Jul-2008, 02:32 AM #5
Post USB Drivers
Hi baladio

Thanks for your post. I hear what you say about devices not using all of the available bandwidth. I am however trying to compare apples with apples and there is a considerable difference in download/upload speed between my pc at work (using USB 2.0) and my pc at home which is capable but doesn't work on USB 2.0 so that and the constant warnings about the device being able to run faster if plugged into a USB 2.0 socket tells me there has to be a problem. I've tried all usb sockets on my machine directly with and without the usb hub.

As for drivers, I run WinXP with SP3, shouldn't I technically have all the right drivers? Where would I find the right drivers? I've spent hours online looking for the drivers

More help please?!?
Computer Specs
Member with 265 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
24-Jul-2008, 03:08 AM #6
A quick way (I don't know if it's that reliable) is to go to Control Panel> System (or press Windows key + pause/break) > Hardware tab > Device manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers, click on every item in there, and with each one, go to the driver tab, click Update Driver, and allow Windows to connect to Windows Update for each of those times only, and it will look for drivers (I've never actually used it to update my drivers). I'm not guaranteeing that you don't have the drivers, it's just a possibility. Most systems with WinXP have the necessary drivers for common system components like USB ports, but it's possible something could have been messed up. Sorry if I mislead you to looking fruitlessly for drivers on the internet. This is about all I know about the USB parts, I don't think I can help you any further except to recommend keeping on asking in forums; there may be people that know more about it than I do, or you can do advanced Google searches such as (copy and paste the text):
usb "2.0" "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port" slow OR reduced OR slowed "1.1" OR "1.0"

Except for one last question: did the USB ports stop functioning normally after you installed SP3? If so, I would assume it is SP3, in which case you may be able to uninstall it; if you still wanted the good parts of it, you may be able to install specific things in it without doing the whole thing, but that's rather complicated; I'm not going to explain it if your problem isn't caused by SP3.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
usb port

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!