Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lexmark X11170 prints completely Blank Pages

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2008, 12:40 PM #1
Exclamation Lexmark X11170 prints completely Blank Pages
EDIT: Sorry, there is a typo in the thread title. The model is X1170.

I have had the Lexmark x1170 all-in-one for more than 2 or 3 years, in the first year it was fine most of the time, then I didnt use it for the longest time.

Actually what happened was that after a new Windows installation, upon trying to install the printer I found it couldnt communicate with my PC. I thought that either the printer died, or the usb cable was broken. Couldnt tell which...

So I've had this printer sitting around for like a year or so and yesterday I made another attempt to figure out if its working or not and get rid of it if need be, since it wastes so much space.

I happily noticed the installation completing normally and communication happening normally between pc and printer.

I made some attempts to print stuff, including a test page, an alignment page, a clean nozzles page and a document of mine which I made sure was as multi-colored as possible, to see what comes out.

In all cases, the printer normally took in the paper, acted like it was printing (I could hear the moving heads and it sounded like normal printing). But the paper that comes out is always completely and totally blank. There is not even a single stain! Not even a droplet of ink. I checked the papers against the light and they are totally clean.

So, I am wondering, what could be causing this. I understand that my inks may have dried up and that I should get replacement but we all know how much they cost so I thought I'd make sure before handing over my money.

Interestingly enough I remover the ink gartridges and tried to clean them with a moistened cloth just like the official lexmark instructions suggest.

The black ink cartridge didnt seem to have any ink at all on it, but from the colourfull one, ink did come out and made a stain on the cloth I used. I allowed them to dry from the moistened cleaning overnight. Today I tested them again and I get the same results (blank pages). However I will still get colored ink on my fingers if I touch the color cartridge. So how can the paper not have the slightest stain?

Thats why I'm thinking it twice before buying new inks. Is there something wrong with my printer instead?

The Lexmark X1170 Drivers ("Lexmark All-in-one center") do show a gauge of how much ink is left inside the cartridges, but I dont think its working right at the moment.

The color cartdrige is shown to have 25% ink left (with a warning sign that its running low) and the black one is shown to have 75% left...

All help is appreciated!

Last edited by Kinnison; 27-Jul-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,943 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2008, 01:02 PM #2
The ink levels are estimations, and if the printer hasn't been used for that long then the cartridges need to be replaced.

But if you look at the prices of new printers and All-in-Ones, you might as well buy a new one thats better then a crappy old Lexmark. You can buy an Epson that uses much cheaper ink for the price of two new Lexmark cartridges at most stores.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2008, 07:18 PM #3
well since it does work in part (the scanner works normally lol) I suppose I could perhaps get a simple printer. That indeed would proabably cheap enough to think over getting new ink. Some believe that its a marketing strategy to offer the actual printing machines at realistic costs to hook up the customers and then milk them with overpriced ink refills lol

Anyway, I was thinking on buying my inks as remanufactured cartridges from www.refreshcartridges.co.uk

They seem to offer an economic solution, its around 35 Euros including shipping. That is 55$.

I dont know if there are any quality printers around 35 euros though. sounds too little for a printer. Plus, I am not buying any printers from now on unless I know the inks will be cheap lol! So I'll make some market research on EPSON printers as you suggested. thanks for reading.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,943 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2008, 08:04 PM #4
Printers are actually very cheap and pretty much disposable these days. Only the high end business laser printers cost a lot these, and even those can be had a lot cheaper then a few years ago.

See here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
Brand new printer for $25.99 U.S or an All-in-One for $44.99.

Some Epson and Canon printers use 2 or 4 tanks rather then two cartridges. The print heads are built into the printer rather then the cartridge so you are only buying a tank of ink each time, so the cost is lower and usually there;s more ink in the tank. Check out something like this Epson: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828103210 And remember that new printers come with new ink so it makes the printer itself not all that expensive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!