Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

green flashing light on monitor

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: enough to get by
15-Aug-2008, 10:49 PM #1
Exclamation green flashing light on monitor
i have this problem it just start like yesterday and when i turn on my computer it sounds like its booting up like normal except the monitor will just blink with a green light and i checked to make sure the cords and everything was good and it still dont work.
Computer Specs
Member with 265 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
16-Aug-2008, 01:12 AM #2
A light blinking at a rate of at least once every second often seems to be made to indicate there is a problem, as in the makers of the device that has the light did it to show that there is a problem, so at least the monitor "knows" there is a problem...So maybe you should read the manual or contact the manufacturer and see what the blinking light means.
First things I would try are to plug it into a different PC, trying a different data cable, a different power cord, and a different outlet. If all of the above fails (including reading the manual or contacting the mfr.), it is probably a part inside the monitor not working correctly. Make sure all connections are secure, and not crooked or anything, including the video card's (if there is one) connection the the motherboard's slot, any internal power cord to the video card, etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: enough to get by
16-Aug-2008, 08:18 AM #3
i tried the same monitor on a different computer and it works fine, so there is somethin wrong with my computer, i just dont no wut. could it not be coming out of hibernation/suspend mode?
Computer Specs
Member with 265 posts.

Experience: Advanced in some areas
24-Aug-2008, 06:51 AM #4
Well, to check if it is not working at all or just not coming out of suspend/hibernation, just power it off completely, then turn it back on, and see if it boots up. To make sure that you are actually turning it off, you may want to unplug it from the wall, because it is possible for some computers to only go into standby mode when the power button is pressed.

What are your system specs? Did you build the PC? When the PC was working, would it make a single beep every time it started? If so, does it make a different beep now?

By the way, it would help if you put up your experience level so everyone could see; you do it in your profile. Go to: My Account, Edit your details, and it's towards the bottom.

I guess the thing to do is look to see if any capacitors on circuit boards in the computer are bulging or leaking, or burnt spots or something. I would try swapping out one part for another if you or a friend has extras, that way you can pinpoint the problem device. It could be that your power supply is dying/dead, since they degrade slowly. Do you smell any funny smell when you turn the PC on? Or, if you bought the PC whole, you may be able to have it serviced by professionals.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!