Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Toshiba L15 laptop monitor went pale, washed out and too bright

(!)

jjohnson191 jjohnson191 is offline jjohnson191 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2008, 10:10 AM #1
Toshiba L15 laptop monitor went pale, washed out and too bright
I installed a new 15" LCD screen on my Toshiba L15 laptop. (serial # LQ150X1LHS2‏). I received the item in perfect condition and installation went flawlessly. The monitor worked perfectly the first night. However, the next day the monitor was too bright, washed out and pale (it looks over-exposed like it's lit too bright from behind). I updated the driver and adjusted settings & brightness but to no avail. What was strange was at one point after returning from standby mode the display was perfect again - just the way it should be. However, next time I restarted the system it was "washed out" again. Since then it has booted up looking normal only one more time.

Strange that it happens intermittently.

What I've done:

-attached external CRT and it was not washed out.
-rechecked all internal connections
-updated graphics driver
-adjusted settings galore

Quick note: Just now forced computer into standby by pushing "button" at base of lid. Monitor was normal again upon returning from standby. Problem returned after reboot.

Here is a link to two pics I took:

http://jamesljohnson.spaces.live.com/pho...

(pic files also attached to post)

The darker "pale" image is when the monitor is NOT functioning correctly (100_0838). About 1 out of every 20 times it will boot to normal appearance. Although it does't look "too bright" or "washed out" in photo (taken with cell) it definitley is.

Infinite thanks for any insight into issue.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Toshiba L15 laptop monitor went pale, washed out and too bright-100_0836.jpg   Toshiba L15 laptop monitor went pale, washed out and too bright-100_0838.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2008, 10:58 AM #2
You may want to make sure that your backlight isn't going bad. You said you installed this yourself, correct? If so then you should have no problem finding the backlight. It may even be worth buying another one to test it with. They're pretty inexpensive (but that's just a suggestion).

Also there may be an "FN + Key" to adjust brightness settings, maybe give that a shot if you didn't already? And I know Toshiba has the "Toshiba Power Management" utility.

Go to Control Panel / Toshiba Power Management ... then under the "Power Save Mode" you should see two options. One is for when it IS plugged in, the other when it isn't. Click the "Details" on the plugged in option and then in that menu click "Power Save Mode" tab and adjust the brightness setting there.

Hopefully these help!
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2008, 11:56 AM #3
Thanks for the insight r3drock3t88.

I tried the brightness adjustment, but no luck.

From the little research I've had time to do it looks more and more like the backlight issue you suggested is probably the problem. I neglected to check it during install.

Is it possible that a backlight would go bad slowly? That is to say, it still boots to a normal appearance once every 20 times or so.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

JJ
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2008, 03:50 PM #4
I supposse the easiest thing to do would be to change the backlight and the inverter from the LCD that I swapped out. The reason I replaced the monitor in the 1st place was because an object was dropped on the lid and damaged about 50% of the display. However, the inverter and light were still fine as the image on the damaged monitor was still clear, save for the areas with the "damaged" pixels (or whatever was broken).
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Aug-2008, 11:03 AM #5
I would have to say that it is possible for it to go bad slowly like you suggested. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to. It's always worth a shot to give it a quick replacement. Spending those extra few bucks to test it is worth it rather then taking it to the store and having them charge you extra for nothing. Make sure the wires to the bulb are in correctly and same with the inverter and make sure they're all in nice and snug.

I wonder why no one else really replied to this post. Common people :-P.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
l15, monitor, over exposed, too bright, washed out

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!