Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How do I update BIOS for my mobo? Needed to upgrade processor?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2008, 05:47 PM #1
Question Solved: How do I update BIOS for my mobo? Needed to upgrade processor?
Hello, I've updated my tech specs on my comp so clicking the computer icon next to my name will give you all the stats for my pc. Now, on to the main point: I'm looking to upgrade my current AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor and I've been told that to upgrade processors you need to update your BIOS before installing the new CPU.

If that is the case, (A) where would I go to get any updates for a M2N68-LA motherboard and (B) can anyone tell me if that'll make it work for sure?

Also I'd would appreciate any tips for changing out my processor as this will be my first time doing so. Thank you for any help :-)
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

06-Sep-2008, 05:53 PM #2
Go to the HP Pavillion website, there should be a download for a BIOS flash.

Likely it will require you extract your download to a floppy and flash it there. The site will give instructions though, and some newer motherboards even allow you to do it from within Windows.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,150 posts.

06-Sep-2008, 08:49 PM #3
This is HP's guide to replacing a Cpu :- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3453990

This is the latest Bios for your Mboard, it updates from within Vista :- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3453990
It's version 5.13, if you watch your screen carefully at switch on you should see the version you're using now, maybe go into the Bios to see it.

I would make sure you need to update Bios before trying it, the present Bios may be able to run the new Cpu already.
Not sure how to confirm that, maybe an Email to HP ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,016 posts.

06-Sep-2008, 08:58 PM #4
First and foremost, read the instructions on hp's site regarding bios updates. Make sure you understand them before beginning this task. While bios updates are not difficult, an incorrect bios flash can render your board unbootable.

Next I am just guessing it is a brisbane core you are going to use for the new cpu. That will draw quite a bit more watts than the original cpu. Check to see that your power supply is up to powering the new cpu. Failure to do this can result in instability.

Next when swapping cpus, I always clear cmos. While this is not absolutely required, it does make sure the new cpu is detected correctly, correct vcore, etc. Before clearing cmos, make a note of any special bios settings you require. You will need to reenter these settings.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

07-Sep-2008, 01:29 AM #5
Ok so the guide to changing processors makes sense, it's about what i figured so thanks for sharing that. As for my current BIOS version it appears to be 5.11, and it mentions a Core Version of 6.0, whatever that is. Thanks Managed, i'll have to email HP then to see if that's already compatible, hopefully they won't take forever to get in touch with me.

crjdriver, i looked up more info on my current processor and it appears to be a Brisbane whereas the core im updating to will be a Windsor. Im not sure how much more power it'll need, but i think the wattage gives me a clue? This might help, i did a comparison through AMD's website, here's the link to the page comparing both processors:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...px?id=34&id=60

also, i'm not familiar with the term you refer to as "cmos" and the results i find on a search are confusing, if you could enlighten me as to what that means i'd be grateful. Though im already grateful for everyone's suggestions, it's already helping me out
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2008, 07:30 AM #6
As I thought the 6000+ is just about double the pw consumption of the older cpu. Sometimes it will work OK and sometimes it does not. It is really up to two different items; one the quality of the pw supply and its ability to supply the extra power AND the quality of the motherboard. Some boards have low quality VRs [voltage regulators] and they just will not work well with high power cpus.

I saw this same problem with the prescott line of intel cpus came out. Many board makers claimed their boards would support prescott as long as you did a bios update. What happened is that high end boards usually did not have problems however low end boards just would not work with the high power cpu.

Clearing cmos. This removes any custom settings and restores the bios to default. If you are updating, some board makers tell you to clear cmos after the update and others do not.

FWIW I usually do not recommend upgrading big box systems like dell, hp, compaq, etc. The reason is that those type of systems ship with a pw supply that is just enough to power the system as shipped. There is little or no "room" for upgrades such as a high end video card, high draw cpu, etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

07-Sep-2008, 09:12 AM #7
Ok that makes sense now. As for the PSU in my pc, I've upgraded that to a SilverStone SST-ST56F 560W PSU (which btw had gotten a lot of good reviews on newegg.com) that is currently supplying power to (A) a 320GB SATA HDD (B) a 500GB ATA HDD (C) a nVidia GeForce 8600GT video card and (D) a standard DVD/CD disk drive. I've already done a good bit of upgrading but i dunno how much more power it'll supply and how much is being used. I guess i'll just start with looking into my mobo's Voltage Regulator.

Oh and btw the case has room inside it still if you mean physical space cuz i opened it up to make sure of that myself, the processor's in a decently isolated spot away from all my PSU's cables, should handle a new processor and cooling fan if the system can support and power it.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2008, 10:21 AM #8
That pw supply should be fine. As to the board, the only real way to tell is to install the cpu and run some stability tests like prime95, video benchmark, etc.

You should notice quite an increase in performance. One reason I worry is that there is a 6400+ with the same core. If your board were really capable of running the 6000+ it would most likely list the 6400+ as a supported cpu as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

11-Sep-2008, 07:57 AM #9
Well i decided to buy it, you're right there's no way to really know it'll work without trying, but im really excited now! I ordered it a few days ago and it's set to arrive sometime later today ah i really hope this works. i'd like to than you again for all the help, i hope you still see this thread is updated by my reply so that if i have any problems with installation i might ask for more help. anyway, thanks again, here i go *crosses fingers* lol wish me luck!
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

12-Sep-2008, 12:28 AM #10
Ok this is URGENT! I need help ASAP!

I installed the processor mentioned above and also installed a new cooling unit/fan, here's the link to it from newegg, where i got it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185125

When i boot up the pc it flashes to BIOS but then pulls up an error message saying the CPU fan failed to start and will shut down in several seconds to prevent damage to the CPU. I believe the problem is this: my old cooling unit/fan's power cable was a three prong female and my mobo only has three prongs on it, whereas both the new part i ordered and the unit that shipped with the new CPU have four prong power cables. is the lack of a fourth prong from my mobo causing the fan to not power? cuz it fits in alright, just doesn't have a fourth prong is all.

If that's the case, would it harm my CPU to try using the original cooling unit/fan that came with the system and needs only three prongs? please get back to me ASAP, i only have so long left to return the CPU if i can't get it working cuz of this problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: some
12-Sep-2008, 01:39 AM #11
Was the cpu fan spinning when you tried to boot with the new one?
Since it's a 4 pin connector you had to leave one end empty since there's only 3 pins on the motherboard. Did you try other ways to put the connector on the cpu fan header? Check what colour wires and which pin they go to when you used the old fan and see if there is a way of matching up the new connector so that the same coloured wire goes to the same pin on the motherboard's cpu fan header. Then, if the fan doesn't spin, try the old one, but make sure you monitor your temperatures with either the hardware monitor in the bios (definitely that at first) and then if you go into windows use something like speedfan.
Hope that made some sense, that's what I'd try. Most important thing is that, all warnings aside, that fan must be spinning. Do not start the machine without a working cpu fan, they heat up very very quickly.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

12-Sep-2008, 10:55 AM #12
Well, the fan starts to spin at first and then it stops after a second, and until the pc shuts down it just kinda twitches a bit, trying to spin, making small jerks in the direction it should spin but it never picks up. im gonna try looking at the power cables now, so thanks for your recommendation, i hope i can get this thing working. also, if that fan motion means it could be a problem with the fan and not the power, please let me know, that or any other problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

12-Sep-2008, 11:33 AM #13
Ok actually i just switched over to the cooling unit/fan that shipped with the processor and it seems to be working fine, windows is running, the fan is spinning, and im refreshing my windows rating. as soon as that's done im gonna run some stability tests. if everything works out alright im gonna close this thread, but thanks everyone for your help in the matter, i really appreciate it!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
amd athlon 64 x2 6000+, bios update, processor upgrade

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!