Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: harddrive running out of room

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Sep-2008, 10:07 AM #1
Solved: harddrive running out of room
I have harddrives on my computer the c drive is 33.05 gb and it only has 7.71 gb left on it and the d drive is 112 gb and it has 104 gb on it.i want to take stuff off my c drive and out it on my d drive but im not sure how if possible i would like to take windows xp of the c drive and put it on the d drive is this a possible task and could someone tell me how to do it
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,174 posts.

22-Sep-2008, 10:18 AM #2
First of all, do you have two physical drives or do you have a single drive that is partitioned into two drives?

Next you can put the operating system on "D" however you must clean install. The reason is that with apps loading .dll type files to the windows and or windows/system32 folder, the path would be incorrect.

You can however move the page file, the my docs folder, limit system restore, move apps to "D" etc to improve space on "C"

Have you done a disk cleanup on the "C" drive?
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 10:33 AM #3
yes i have have 2 hard drives the "d" is a local disc and the "c" is a presario i have done cclener on "c". how would i go about doing a clean install
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 10:48 AM #4
You do a clean install just like any install; backup your data, and boot with the xp CD. Delete the partition[s] on the disk in question and create. Format and install.

I would see about moving the page file, my docs, and apps to "D" before doing a clean install.

You do understand that a clean install destroys ALL data on the drive, correct?
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 11:16 AM #5
well i guess i cant do that cause i dont have the windows xp disk but is there a way that i can take everything except windows and put it on the other one and make it to where when i download something it goes to the bigger disk
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 12:08 PM #6
Just as I posted, move your page file to D. Move the my docs folder to D. Whenever you download a file, it will ask you where to save the file. Simply select the D drive and whatever folder you want to save the file to.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 12:14 PM #7
You know, there is another option.
Buy a new drive and clone your existing C drive to the new larger hard disk.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 12:22 PM #8
where is the page file located ?and when i find it can i just click and drag to make it go on the bigger disk? and what do you mean by limit system restore?
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 12:29 PM #9
im really not wanting to do that cause i most likely will never use the space i got i dont mind having windows on the little disk i just wanna move the other stuff off and put it on the big disk and start downloading to that one but im not sure if all you have to do is click and drag
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 12:44 PM #10
OK, I do not use xp so this is from memory. You might have to look in the help section.
Go to control panel>system>advanced>performance. You will see your page file AND your other disk. Select to have 0 page file on C and either a fixed or windows managed on D.

Note from your posts, I would tend to think you are not very experienced. I would make a backup of anything important before you start messing with the page file, etc.

The my docs folder can be moved as well freeing up space. As for system restore, I believe xp allows you to adjust the percentage of the disk that is used; ie 10% 3%, etc. Again read the help regarding system restore.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 01:22 PM #11
i am still learning my way around my computer but learning new things daily i found out how to move my page filing and adjusted the restore it was succussfull the only thing im not sure of is when i move the my documents folder do i click and drag to the big disk and then delete it from my other disk or is there another way to do it
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 03:07 PM #12
Good, you are learning.

No you do not drag the docs folder. Do this [again it is from memory so it might be off a little] Right click the my docs folder on your desktop. Go to properties. It should have a path or a move button. You can type in the path you want or hit the move button and select a folder on the D drive.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 03:09 PM #13
Once you are done with everything, I would delete all old restore points. No sense in having a restore with an incorrect page file location, my docs folder, etc.
Now run either CCleaner or disk cleanup and see what you have for space.

You can also move apps. To do this, you must uninstall the app and then reinstall using the D drive.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 03:50 PM #14
so if i do this will there be any side effects that i might not like.i know how to do it but i havent done it yet cause im not sure if there are gonna be any hidden side effects as far as access i dont know about and also where can i locate my apps . and i was wondering how i would put some other programs that i got on the little disk on the big one. would i do it the same way?
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2008, 03:58 PM #15
ok i did something wrong i guess i did move it and didnt realize it and now there is nothing in none of the folders all my pics are gone and my music and the videos only the three folders are in there can i system restore
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!