Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System lock up

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Oct-2008, 02:24 PM #1
System lock up
Hi thanks for looking at my thread, I feel like a moocher coming cap in hand with my first post but I'm starting to get to my wits end. My system locks up in games anything from a couple of seconds to several hours in. The bigger the strain the quicker the lock up, PvPing in Warhammer online with about 50 people involved was locking me much more often. The system becomes unresponsive and requires a hard reboot.

I've tried to do so many things and each time I think I might have solved it bang lock up. I've got all the up to date drivers for mobo and video cards, I've got the fans cranked up to 100% and it seems fairly cool in there.

I just don't know what to do, maybe I missed something in upgrading to 64 bit some driver or something. I've tried to research online possible things but there is so much information. I'm resigned to dealing with my vendor tomorrow when I have the strength but for now hoping maybe there's a suggestion from you guys here. Thanks a lot for any help the system spec is below.

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English (64 bit)
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI
Includes PCI-Express 2.0, DDR3 Memory, and Support for Intel 1600 FSB
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply - UK Powercord
Graphics Processor : Dual Graphics Card - Dual 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800 GX2 – Quad GPU Technology
Memory: Low Latency 1333 MHz DDR3 - 4GB - 2 x 2048 MB
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 750 GB Serial ATA 3 Gbit/s 7,200 RPM with 16MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM : 20X Dual-Layer DVD±RW with LightScribe Technology
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Hardware: Integrated 7.1 High-Definition Audio
Member with 176 posts.

Experience: Einstein
01-Oct-2008, 03:55 PM #2
Microsoft Windows XP

1.Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.2.Click Properties.3.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery. 4.Under System failure, click to clear the Automatically restart check box.5.Click OK, and then click OK.6.Try to reproduce the error message.

Windows Vista

1.Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click System.2.Click Advanced System Settings. 3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.4.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery. 5.Under System failure, click to clear the Automatically restart check box.6.Click OK, and then click OK.7.Try to reproduce the error message.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Oct-2008, 05:25 PM #3
I've done that change, but I'm not getting an error message the system just hard locks up and I have to reboot from the power button.

Some observations recently...

My 790i mobo is running at 82 degrees celcius and the two 9800 gx2s at 74.
Member with 176 posts.

Experience: Einstein
01-Oct-2008, 08:20 PM #4
You need to check your system. Click Here and download the program. And burn it on CD. Boot with this CD (You can find more information on the website.) Check your system. Especially, the memory (rams). And make sure you are cooling enough the system. You can turn on the temperature alerts on bios. I am not sure but it seem like temperature problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!