Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

mobo drivers

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

12-Oct-2008, 12:58 PM #1
mobo drivers
hey guys i need someone to steer me in the right direction with this!!! a friend of mine has a sony vaio VGC-RC210G and he had a major virus problem so he took it to a shop and they just reinstalled windows xp media on it to clean it out i guess,anyway he is missing like 5 drivers so he has hardware conflicts,well he brought it to me and when i went to sony to get the drivers it didnt recognize the mobo so i went inside and looked and there is an intell D945PPR/D945GPR mobo in it which apparently wasnt supposed to be in that model vaio according to sony.i have dug and dug and i just cant find the drivers for this board anywhere so im stuck,the comp is up but i need to resolve these hardware issues,his ethernet card,sound card etc all have no drivers can someone please help me out here i really appreciate any advice
Member with 1,742 posts.

Experience: Like the name says.........
12-Oct-2008, 01:22 PM #2

12-Oct-2008, 04:04 PM #3
yes i did but those are the drivers for the board that should have came with the vaio model, sony put the wrong board in and i cant even find the drivers on the intel site

12-Oct-2008, 04:39 PM #4
ok after some more research it seems this board should come with this model so sony was wrong, but when i go to device manager it says the sm bus controller is not working,no networking,no sound,no modem, now i think the last 3 are results of the bus controller,but wouldnt that mean i should not have video also??? there is an aftermarket video card and i do have video but i cant download drivers from sony or anything im becoming agitated someone please help me!!!
Member with 1,742 posts.

12-Oct-2008, 08:21 PM #5
Agitation gains nothing in the PC world so relax and proceed accordingly;

Go here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...ginal&Sorter=3

Install the "Original " mobo chipset drivers:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...ginal&Sorter=3

Then go to the bottom of the page and work your way up, installing all the drivers/etc. When you are finished with this page. go here and start at the bottom once again until you have evrything updated:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...?mdl=VGCRC210G

MAKE SURE on each download/update you click on the:

See more..

before downloading and installing. Disable any firewall and anti-virus apps while doing this. When finished, make sure Windows is updated and current, enable firewall and update anti-virus/malware/etc. software and then do a complete system maintenance...........................run spyware/malware apps, anti-virus scan and then do a system cleanup and defrag. This is going to take awhile and it will (hopefully) show you why a "qualified, experienced and reliable" computer shop would charge you a fair amount to do this properly. Also, if the computer seems to run slowly or has "glitches' after this, you may have to start over and do a "CLEAN" install of Windows from the start along with all the mobo downloads. This system should never have left the computer shop when it wasn't working properly and they shouldn't have been paid for not doing the job right.

12-Oct-2008, 10:15 PM #6
im not really agitated with the comp im agitated that i dont know whats wrong with it,im in my second year for my programming and design degree and have had many classes on architecture and operations. i have tried what you are saying and when i go to install the drivers i get a window that tells me "this update is not meant for your system" i tried the factory drivers and everything. i think the problem is stemming from the sm bus controller because there is a conflict with that as well and the drivers for it are installed and up to date, but the device cannot start,the networking,sound, and modem all have no drivers installed at all and i cannot install any. i told the guy who owns the computer not to take it to the shop he did because they have a bad rep but he didnt know any better and he didnt want to leave it there since they caused so many problems so he brought it to me since i work for free for friends lol,i just cannot find any literature on this issue and if worst comes to worse im going to take it to class with my and have my instructor look at it, but i would like to solve it without him. so i appreciate your help and advice thus far but maybe a different route??

12-Oct-2008, 10:19 PM #7
i even went on Intel's site to look for the chipset series and the desktop mobo but the 945PPR/945GPR is not on there,the 945 express chipset family is but not the board itself,i cannot find any literature on it and sony is no help at all over the phone...i feel like the answer is right in front of me but i just cant grasp it!
Member with 1,742 posts.

13-Oct-2008, 01:12 AM #8
Okay.............................first, go to:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2&SelectOS=16

Find the 05/25/2005 Motherboard 1.61MB driver download

Click on the blue "see more" to get directions for download/installation.

Follow to the letter.

Now go to:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2&SelectOS=16

Find 05/30/2006 BIOS 2.42MB download

Click blue "see more"

Download and install following directions to the letter

Now go back to the previous 2 pages with drivers and update to latest version.

The "sm buscontroller" is included in the chipset drivers and has to be downloaded/installed from there.

13-Oct-2008, 10:28 AM #9
i cannot do install the drivers or update the bios because when the wizard launches and checks the system info it comes up as not compatible, if i got to msinfo32 i cannot retrieve the system info for some reason,i think that when they did a clean install of windows xp mce some of the files were corrupted or something so the system doesnt register with the driver install stopping me from doing it?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Oct-2008, 11:15 AM #10
Are you positive that whoever did the reinstallation installed MCE?

On another operating machine, go here; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Download SIW Standalone. This is an executable that doesn't have to be installed on troubled machine. Download it to the operating machine, then put it on a flash drive, CD or whatever you have. Take it to the troubled machine, and copy and paste SIW to the desktop of the troubled machine. It does not have to be installed, just copy and paste it to the desktop of the troubled machine.

After SIW is on the desktop of the troubled machine, launch SIW. After the SIW launches click on component in the left pane that you want to identify, (i.e. Operating System) when the right hand side pane opens see what information is provided regarding the Operating System.

13-Oct-2008, 11:38 AM #11
I know you said you spoke with Sony but here's the deal................the mobo you describe was made specifically for THEM with the Intel chipset. Everything HAS to go through Sony as Intel only supports their own products, not 2nd or 3rd party. You SHOULD be able to get either a recovery cd/dvd or a cd/dvd to re-install the original drivers from Sony by contacting them (1-800-488-7669), giving them the model and model number (Sony Vaio VGC-RC210G) and the Serial Number and Service Tag number located on the computer. They can look up the original configuration and should have a disc with what you need.......it may cost you, but in this case I think you would be better off to have the "original" cd/dvd disc and then re-install Windows, use the Sony disc and get up and running. You can update everything as you need to at that time, then install your firewall/anti-virus/spyware/malware apps and run them......then do a system cleanup and defrag. You should be ready to go........it's a lot of work (good experience) but you'll feel a certain sense of accomplishment (and pride) when you are through and everything is working. If not, then join the hundreds(thousands) of us that work on this stuff and have experienced this previously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might try checking this site and speaking with them (I'm not familiar with them, but hey, it might be worth a shot!):

http://www.sonyrecovery.com/
Member with 1,742 posts.

13-Oct-2008, 11:44 AM #12
Maybe here also as a last resort:

http://www.restoredisks.com/request.asp

13-Oct-2008, 01:32 PM #13
yes it is mce i verified with swi, im thinkin the os install had corrupt files so i have an xp mce cd on its way to me and ill try to reinstall and see if that fixes it, i cant think of anything else that it could be
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,651 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Oct-2008, 01:53 PM #14
Have you tried installing this Intel Chipset driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ition&lang=eng

You can use SIW to identify the hardware in the computer, look in the Hardware - PCI section to see if it lists the manufacturer of the sound, video, and Ethernet controllers.

14-Oct-2008, 09:00 AM #15
i fixed it, the tech shop installed a bad copy of windows mce and were lacking the brain power to figure it out, i put two and two together when i couldnt pull system info from windows and had to use third party so i did a clean install and everything is fine now. i appreciate everyones help and direction with this, i was right from the beginning
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!