Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Don't know how to install updated video card drivers :(

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Oct-2008, 09:55 PM #1
Don't know how to install updated video card drivers :(
hi,

This past tuesday i downloaded a new patch for WoW. I was all excited to play and found that my computer was freezing a minute after a logged in EVERY time. So I looked online and everyone says that you should update video drivers as the first step. I went to the Nvidia website, clicked to have them read my system hardware to determine what driver i should update to, saw that my current driver was version "0.0" and downloaded the suggested driver. I'm running windows 2000, so i had to unzip it on my xp computer and send it back to this one. I opened the program to install the drivers, went through all the steps, and finally restarted my computer. When I went to get on WoW it froze immediately just like before. So i went back to the Nvidia site and clicked again to have it scan for what driver i needed, and again it told me that my current version was version "0.0". Is the Nvidia site wrong in reading my video driver or did the new driver not install for some reason? please help!
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Oct-2008, 10:02 PM #2
Why would you have to unzip it on your XP computer instead of the computer you need the driver on? Is the driver FOR that operating system?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

16-Oct-2008, 10:12 PM #3
Which computer is the WOW on? Which computer do you use when you go to nV site? What is the graphics card in the machine you're using(trying to) for WOW?
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

16-Oct-2008, 10:24 PM #4
I'm using a Geforce FX 5500 agp 8x on a P5VDC-MX asus mobo. Pentium D 820, 450 rosewell psu, 1 gig of ddr2. I have WoW on the computer with the graphics problems. When you download the drivers for windows 2000/xp they come in a zipped file, and windows 2000 pro does not come with an unzipping program, and i don't want to buy one, so i put the drivers (in the zipped file) on my xp computer, unzip them, and then place the unzipped files on the windows 2000 computer. I just tried uninstalling on my video drivers and installing from the newer version of the drivers but once again the Nvidia website told me i had driver version "0.0"
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

16-Oct-2008, 10:27 PM #5
Download this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
It's not zip, and it's the correct driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

17-Oct-2008, 05:05 PM #6
i downloaded that driver and installed it and everything and the website still claims my driver version is version "0.0" . i have no idea why.
br1ng3r br1ng3r is offline br1ng3r has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 256 posts.

Experience: Mastered the reset switch
17-Oct-2008, 05:48 PM #7
Senior Member with 1,930 posts.

Experience: Geek wannabe
18-Oct-2008, 11:10 AM #8
Could it be that the new WOW patch screwed up the program?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
drivers, game, nvidia, video card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!