Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to uninstall multiple copies of printer?

(!)

junglecat junglecat is offline junglecat has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

17-Oct-2008, 05:28 PM #1
How to uninstall multiple copies of printer?
My printer wasn't working, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times. I got a different set of errors than I was getting before, and then discovered this in Windows Explorer---> My Computer---> Local Disc (C)---> Program Files

It was only listed ONCE in Add/Remove programs.

But I uninstalled anyhow using Add/Remove, and there are STILL multiple copies of all files in C:\program files. They are not empty folders; all the files are there, 2-3 copies of each.

I launched RegCleaner and deleted everything I could find that I knew for sure was related to the printer, but all those copies are still there in program files.

How do I get it completely off my system so I can start over and install ONE copy?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,584 posts.

Experience: I win some, I lose some!
17-Oct-2008, 05:33 PM #2
Hi!

If you're no longer having problems with your printer, you could just leave the folders there. Otherwise, I would just manually remove them (all but the last copy).
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

17-Oct-2008, 05:37 PM #3
Yes I'm still having problems with the printer. It won't print, and I suspect maybe it won't because of all the copies of it in the system. The printer is only a couple weeks old.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,584 posts.

Experience: I win some, I lose some!
17-Oct-2008, 05:41 PM #4
Oh, that's another story. Remove all the lexmark folders. Go to control panel>printers and faxes, right click the printer and select delete. Unplug the printer, shut down your PC, plug the printer back in, start your system.

Did it come with a cd with drivers?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Oct-2008, 06:00 PM #5
So after you uninstalled the software and deleted the folder, you got 3 new copies following another install? I've never seen anything like that happen before.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
17-Oct-2008, 08:23 PM #6
I have - it can happen when you try to install the software while a USB printer is plugged in - he noted that he had tried to install it more than once.

Delete the icons - unplug the Lexmark from the computer - reinstall the software, THEN plug the printer into the computer. Hopefully the Add/Remove didn't take too much (I never recommend using A/R on printers, as it tends to sometimes take too much, like parts of Windows with it).

A-N
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

17-Oct-2008, 09:13 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknorth View Post
I have - it can happen when you try to install the software while a USB printer is plugged in - he noted that he had tried to install it more than once.

Delete the icons - unplug the Lexmark from the computer - reinstall the software, THEN plug the printer into the computer. Hopefully the Add/Remove didn't take too much (I never recommend using A/R on printers, as it tends to sometimes take too much, like parts of Windows with it).

A-N
I'm a her.

I did what you suggested. It seems to be back to normal again except it still doesn't print. I'll have to start a new topic because it's a whole new problem.

Thanks everyone.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
18-Oct-2008, 09:12 AM #8
Oops - sorry...

Since from your piccie it seems you are running XP, have you tried using the system restore back to before all this started to see if it resolves the problems?

A-N - Who's a guy (Can't ya tell?)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!