Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Samsung LCD Not Optimum Mode Recommended mode: 1280x1024 60Hz

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Oct-2008, 02:16 PM #1
Samsung LCD Not Optimum Mode Recommended mode: 1280x1024 60Hz
This is a reopening of a previous thread that was closed because of no activity for 45 days.

My Samsung 713n also showed the not optimum mode message. I had another monitor that I swapped in and set the computer to that mode and then swapped the 713n back. No joy. I tried the 16 bit mode and the 32 bit mode. Still no joy. I then tried the reboot with F8 into safe mode suggested by a post in the previous thread. The screen was fine until after the safe mode was selected then went blank and "not optimum mode". Again the computer was still in 1280x1024 mode.

The fact that it was ok until safe mode was selected should be an indication of something, but what?

A thread on another site suggests the microchip in the monitor is toast.

Any thoughts on that?

FWIW: The monitor used to swap in and set the display mode was a Samsung 712n. The monitor on this computer is a Samsung 731b.

However, me thinks that my next monitor will NOT be a Samsung.

Steve
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,632 posts.

19-Oct-2008, 02:22 PM #2
So it does it with two monitors or just the one?
Is the refresh rate set to 60Hz as well?

You can also try updating the video card drivers to see if that will resolve the issue. Do you know what video card you have in the computer? It should be listed under the Advanced tab of Display Settings.
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

19-Oct-2008, 02:26 PM #3
Okay I'm a little confused? Anytime you hit F8 for safe mode the screen reverts to 800 x600 because it takes you out of the Drivers for your apps and devices. That's normal.
Normal Mode you take you back into the setup where your Drivers are involved and your screen should reset it's self to the on you've chosen for it or the Default settings for the Card. What are you asking? Jazz

19-Oct-2008, 10:56 PM #4
The 712n works fine. I used it to set the computers display for the "optimum" then swapped monitors to put the 713n in place. It does not work. Refresh is 60hz for both.

The 713n worked for about a year until about a month ago. Nor does it work on two other computers that I have.

The 713n works fine after entering F8 until I specify that I want safe mode. Then it goes to the "not optimum" screen.

The video card is a NVIDA Quadro NVS 210S. I am downloading an update to the driver. 98 meg will take a while.

Originally, this problem started with the monitor just black. No window showing the "not optimum" message.

I have had to do about 10 or so OS repairs due to another problem. (and another thread.) It was in the process if resetting the resolution from 800x600 after a repair that this problem developed.

19-Oct-2008, 11:21 PM #5
The new drivers (dated Oct 15, 2008) solved the problem. All is well now.
(Good thing I installed satellite broadband fivce days ago. No way would a 98meg file have downloaded on my old dialup.)

Thanks guys.

20-Oct-2008, 02:48 PM #6
I spoke too soon. My wife just called to say she was in OpenOffice entering a receipe when the screen went blank and the "Not Optimum Mode.." window popped up again. The computer is live to the Internet. So I suspect that it did an automatic "update". I will be checking it this evening when I get home from work. Any ideas???
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,632 posts.

20-Oct-2008, 05:05 PM #7
Could be a faulty monitor. I believe the Samsungs have a 3 year warranty. Call them up and see if they will take it back to repair if they think its broken.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Oct-2008, 10:01 PM #8
I'm having the same problem with a Samsung 913V monitor. I have also read that it's a known hardware problem. Mine's just under the warranty so I'm putting in a repair request ASAP. I've found that you can get the POST screen and command prompt visible by unplugging the monitor from the wall for 5-10 minutes, but it quickly goes back to the "Not Optimum Mode" message once you go into a graphical interface.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!