Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

LCD Monitor Problem Diagnosis

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

23-Oct-2008, 12:20 PM #1
LCD Monitor Problem Diagnosis
I have 17 LCD Monitor that I purchased the Spring of 2005. It started acting up around 6 months ago. For periods of time (not always) it would appear to briefly lose the signal every few seconds. I would also typically get a brief signal loss message when I would lose the signal.

The PC recently had a motherboard failure so I upgraded to a mostly new system (Only re-used Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, DVD-RW Drive, Floppy Drive, Speakers).

Last night I turned on the Newly built PC (Phenom Quad Core) with this monitor attached. During the approximate 10 minutes that I had the PC on the LCD monitor malfunctioned in the same manner as with the old PC and the problem was continuous. Tonight I plan to swap the "problem" monitor with another LCD Monitor.

1. From your experience, what are the odds that it is a monitor cable problem rather than defective monitor? I do not have a spare monitor cable.

2. Are there any other "tests" that I could perform to confirm that the monitor is defective?

I have already selected, but have not ordered, a replacement LCD monitor. I want to feel confident that the monitor is defective before ordering the new one.

Thank You in Advance.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2008, 12:52 PM #2
In my experience so far its never been the cable. Its been the monitor a couple of times and the graphics card taking a dump a couple of times. As long as the cable never gets pinched a lot or is subject to constant movement or pulling there isn't anything that can fail there.
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Oct-2008, 01:10 AM #3
have u hooked it to a different tower and see if it dose the same thing if so the monitor is going bad if not the vid card is bad and needs to b replaced most times its the card if its a card intergrated in to the board just get a different vid card and disable the onboard card
Member with 1,742 posts.

Experience: Like the name says.........
24-Oct-2008, 01:42 AM #4
" Tonight I plan to swap the "problem" monitor with another LCD Monitor."

Post back your results once you've done this. Then if there are problems we'll go from there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!