Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ethernet Controller not working

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Oct-2008, 11:39 PM #1
Ethernet Controller not working
Clean Install of Win XP Pro sp2 and the ethernet controller is not working. It does not show up in the device manager with the usual yellow question marks, the ethernet controller does not show up at all. The ethernet controller is a Realtek RTL8100C. The computer is a Compaq SR2150NX that shipped originally with Vista (way to slow), I switched it to XP (very fast). Mom Brd is a ECS RC415ST-HM (HP/Compaq Mom Brd name: Alhena5-GL6). I found all of the XP drivers for the Mom Brd (including the ethernet controller) and everything works fine except the ethernet controller. The onboard ethernet is enabled in the BIOS. Could the Realtek chip be bad? How do you force-feed it ethernet drivers when the controller doesn't show up in the device manager? Any advice sure would be appreciated. Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Ethernet Controller not working-dm1.jpg  
Everway9 Everway9 is offline Everway9 has a Profile Picture
Member with 283 posts.

24-Oct-2008, 10:35 AM #2
Try this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...28&lang=tr&y=0

If that doesnt work then, yeah your device could be faulty

Oh, and read my signature!!! LOL!
Member with 283 posts.

24-Oct-2008, 10:36 AM #3
Looking at your device manager you could be missing other devices also.
Senior Member with 2,503 posts.

24-Oct-2008, 01:26 PM #4
Is your ethernet a part of the chipset for your motherboard or a PCI? Jazz
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2008, 01:56 PM #5
Jazz3000, the ethernet is part of a chipset on my motherboard.

Everway9, I set a restore point and tried the driver you suggested, however it did not work.
I read your signature and there is alot of truth to it. The computer was given to me as a Vista slug and I am trying to breathe new life into it as a XP race car. So far so good except for this ethernet problem. What devices do you see missing in the device manager? Could the missing devices be affecting my ethernet?

Here is what I've done since my last post; I tried the driver Everway9 suggested, but it did not work. I tried to bypass the problem with the motherboard ethernet and bought a brand new Linksys ethernet PCI card with the drivers included on a CD, installed it with the drivers, and it did not work either. (I turned off the mombrd ethernet in the bios before installing the ethernet PCI card). It was not recognized in the device manager. Note that in my device manager there are no Network Adapters. Clue? Anyway, with the ethernet PCI card installed the device manager did change and showed a yellow question mark next to Other devices and Ethernet Controller. See attached photo. Assuming the Linksys ethernet PCI card is good, shouldn't it work despite the ethernet problem associated with the motherboard? I would like to get one of the two ethernets up and running, whether it is the ethernet PCI card or the motherboards ethernet makes no difference to me. I thank you in advance and appreciate your help...
Attached Thumbnails
Ethernet Controller not working-dm2.jpg   Ethernet Controller not working-lne100tx.jpg   Ethernet Controller not working-linksyslne100tx.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Oct-2008, 06:03 PM #6
You are probably failing because you don't have and cannot find a chipset driver, and that will always prevent usb and ethernet from working correctly. You have to go back to XP, just by more ram and Vista is fine.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,402 posts.

25-Oct-2008, 08:19 PM #7
The Realtek RTL8100C network adapter driver 612(5.612.0628.2004) on the HP site is very outdated.

Version 699(5.699.717.2008) is available here. The topmost one called "Auto installation program" is the one you want.

It's in ZIP format, so download it to an empty folder on the desktop, then right-click the ZIP file and click "Extract Here". After the files are extracted, double-clicking the Setup.exe file will start the install process.

------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the hardware specifications site for that computer, the chipset is an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100.

The current driver for Windows XP is here. Read the release notes.

The current driver for the Realtek ALC 888 High Definition audio is here.

Last edited by flavallee; 25-Oct-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Computer Specs

25-Oct-2008, 11:06 PM #8
O.K. flavallee, I downloaded all the current drivers. I will do a clean install of Win XP, install MS .NET Framework 2.0, and then install the chipset drivers. Then I will install the rest of the drivers and report back how it all went and if everything is working. Thanks flavallee for taking the time to bird-dog those drivers for me.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

26-Oct-2008, 07:48 AM #9
No problem.

When I get my hands on an older computer in the 3 to 6 year old range that needs a hard drive format and fresh install of XP, one of the first things that I do is locate, download, and burn off the current drivers for the hardware in that computer. I also burn off the most current release of DirectX 9.0c(August 2008).

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2008, 07:53 PM #10
Here is the latest. I reset the BIOS to the default setting, formatted the hard-drive and installed WinXP sp2. It went quick and everything was fine. Installed .NET Framework 2.0, then the latest ATI chipset drivers and watched the Northbridge driver, Southbridge driver, Video driver, etc., install themselves. That also went well. (I rebooted several times after these installs). Then I set a restore point and installed the Realtek RTL8100C network adapter driver(s) v.699, Auto Install Program. That installed with no problems, however no Network Adapter shows up in the device manager and the ethernet does not work. The RTL8100C driver unzipped as an nic / PCI install 5.699..., I am thinking this might be the wrong driver. I think this driver is for a ethernet PCI card that has the same chip (RTL8100C) as my motherboard. Realtek's website is lame. Trying to find the correct driver on their website is virtually impossible. Anyone have any thoughts on any of this? I am still optimistic about getting the ethernet up and running on my motherboard. If I could only find the correct driver for the Realtek RTL8100C chip on my motherboard.....
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2008, 08:48 PM #11
I emailed tech support at Realtek asking for a driver for the RTL8100C NIC chip on my motherboard using Win XP sp2. I emailed nicfae@realtek.com , a USA contact.

I'll let you know if I get a response and what they said.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2008, 08:33 AM #12
After you unzipped the Realtek file, did you double-click the setup.exe file to install it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2008, 08:32 PM #13
After unzipping the network file I did double-click the setup.exe file and it went thru the installation procedure. The motherboard ethernet is enabled in the bios. What do you think Flavallee could the Realtek chip be bad? Assuming it is the correct network driver(s) and it installed itself properly (I watched the install after double-clicking the setup.exe file) what else could be the problem?

F.Y.I. I have not installed the Realtek ALC 888 audio driver(s) yet or the DirectX 9.0c. I stopped installing anything else when the ethernet failed to work. I ground to a halt. (Temporarily at least, until this is resolved).

I have yet to hear from Realtek support. No surprise there.
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2008, 06:38 AM #14
Unless someone else can resolve the problem or find a driver that works, you may be forced to install a new network card.

Member with 283 posts.

31-Oct-2008, 07:11 AM #15
If that realtek 699 drivers wont work then its either dead or only compatible with Vista. As flavallee said 'get a new network card'.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!