Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I reformat a SanDisk Cruzer Flash Drive?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2008, 05:26 PM #1
How do I reformat a SanDisk Cruzer Flash Drive?
Unlike various threads I looked at, I want to reformat my SanDisk 4GB Cruzer Titanium Plus flash drive. It came with USB3 stuff that I don't want, and which hassles me every time. I just want 4GB that looks and acts like a single unrestricted USB drive when plugged into a WINXP or Vista PC. I would prefer NTFS, but I could easily live with FAT32. There's no data of significance on the Cruzer to worry about saving first.

I have a WINXP Pro SP3 machine, and a Vista SP1 machine. I could use either to do the reformatting once I learn how.

So far everything I've tried to accomplish this reformating has been thwarted, including using the DOS Format command. Can anyone point me to the procedure or other secret that will let me do this? Would appreciate any words of wisdom.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Oct-2008, 05:38 PM #2
Have you tried a format in windows? Go to my computer, right click on the disk, and choose format. If you have tried, I do have (somewhere) a tiny little prog specifically for formatting USB drives
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Oct-2008, 07:17 PM #3
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
27-Oct-2008, 07:54 PM #4
Open the flash drive up in My Computer

Go to the icon in the upper left corner of the window that opens and RIGHT CLICK on it.

Select 'Format' from the drop down window.

And so on...

A-N
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2008, 08:49 PM #5
Thanks to all who responded. In Explorer the Cruzer shows up as a U3 drive (K on my PC) and an independent disk (L). The right-click menu for K did not show Format. Format showed for L, but when run it demanded that I insert a disk, so I got nowhere.

So I followed the link provided by DoubleHelix, which offered a U3 uninstaller. After convincing the uninstaller that, yeah, that's what I really wanted to do, it quickly got rid of K (the U3 drive) and formatted the entire Cruzer as a single USB drive - exactly what I wanted. A quick test showed that I can write and read files and folders to it. I'm now a happy camper! Thanks again.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Oct-2008, 09:25 PM #6
You probably could have formatted the drive without using the removal utility. You would have had to close the U3 launchpad first. Generally, it launches when the drive is inserted. Since it's a programming running on the drive, it needs to be closed first. However, the utility takes care of this as well.
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Learning all the time
08-Nov-2008, 11:43 PM #7
I uninstalled the U3 CRAP and still can't eject the thumb drive. I always end up yanking it out and risking losing info. I would never have purchased this one if I'd known what an annoyance it would be.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!